PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

sneider
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 06:43 PM
Guys,

Just joined this forum and hope to stay here for a while. I just got a 55 gallon tank in which I converted to a DISCUS tank. This is what I did, and maybe anyone can pitch in and advise me as DISCUS hobbiests.

I first put in some danios and some Autralian Rainbows to start the cycle. Once I received my discus, I took the DAnios and Rainbows back to the PET SHOP. I had a Black Pleco and for some reason died the day after I got the discus in the tank.. ANy suggestions as to why?

I originally did not setup the tank with RO water, but my replacements are 5 to 10 gallons a week with RO water, in which I mix in about half a teaspoon of RO right with the RO water. I also add some Black Water extract. Is this process ok?

After two days, now is when they are coming out and exploring the tank. However, I have placed some food, just one fish is picking at the blood worms. I bougth beef heart and blood worms for there food, feeding them off a floating cone. Should I feed them a square a day, one day worms and another day beef heart? Or should I also buy some DISCUS flake food and mix some days of it in there as well?

I got two Baby Blue pandas, Blue Diamond and Red Ruby all 2"..

Thanks for your help..

Proteus
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome to DiscusForums.com

:)

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hi Sneider and welcome to the forum.

Your little fish should do well in a tank that size. If you post your water parameters in the "Discus 101" forum, someone will be able to advise you if you're on the right track with your RO water.

Feed your fish as much as they will consume in around half an hour. Discus are pretty slow feeders, so we allow them plenty of time. If you can manage to feed them three small meals a day, that's better than just one large meal.