PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new DISCUS

sneider
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 06:41 PM
Guys,

Just joined this forum and hope to stay here for a while. I just got a 55 gallon tank in which I converted to a DISCUS tank. This is what I did, and maybe anyone can pitch in and advise me as DISCUS hobbiests.

I first put in some danios and some Autralian Rainbows to start the cycle. Once I received my discus, I took the DAnios and Rainbows back to the PET SHOP. I had a Black Pleco and for some reason died the day after I got the discus in the tank.. ANy suggestions as to why?

I originally did not setup the tank with RO water, but my replacements are 5 to 10 gallons a week with RO water, in which I mix in about half a teaspoon of RO right with the RO water. I also add some Black Water extract. Is this process ok?

After two days, now is when they are coming out and exploring the tank. However, I have placed some food, just one fish is picking at the blood worms. I bougth beef heart and blood worms for there food, feeding them off a floating cone. Should I feed them a square a day, one day worms and another day beef heart? Or should I also buy some DISCUS flake food and mix some days of it in there as well?

I got two Baby Blue pandas, Blue Diamond and Red Ruby all 2"..

Thanks for your help..

FishLover
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 08:44 PM
IMO, 5 to 10 gallons per week is too smalll W/C for the 2" discus.

You need to feed them 2 to 4 times a day, which adds to the water problem. That's why you need to have more water change. When I got my 2.5" discus, I did 40% w/c twice a week for a while. I'm now doing about 40% WC per week. They are about 3.5" to 4" now.

sneider
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 09:00 PM
SHould I make my water change with RO Water? I read that when they are this small they should get just regular water changes.

MattB
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:25 PM
sneider, could I ask you how many days it was after you set up your tank, until you added discus?