PDA

View Full Version : Can I add more Discus?

dntx5b9
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 01:37 AM
OK, this may be a dumb question, but here it goes. I am currently treating my tank with metro because one of the three new discus I got three weeks ago has not been eating for the last week. There are two real nice discus at the same LFS that I bought the three from and I want to get them before someone else does. But not sure whether I should wait or just get them. The one that's currently not eating was eating well for the first two weeks, but suddenly stopped eating a week ago. All three looked real good when I bought them and they still look very good. Any thoughts?

MattB
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
OK, this may be a dumb question, but here it goes. I am currently treating my tank with metro because one of the three new discus I got three weeks ago has not been eating for the last week. There are two real nice discus at the same LFS that I bought the three from and I want to get them before someone else does. But not sure whether I should wait or just get them. The one that's currently not eating was eating well for the first two weeks, but suddenly stopped eating a week ago. All three looked real good when I bought them and they still look very good. Any thoughts?

Sorry, this is coming from a pretty inexperienced discus keeper (don't have any discus yet), so I'll do my best at answering your questions, and if I make any incorrect statements, please correct them :) .

As far as I know, stocking levels of your tank depends on the surface area (length x width) it holds, I think the formula works for every 2.5cm of fish there is, you need 75cm2 to house them. In the case of discus, you need roughly 38L per adult sized fish.

I don't know much about the feeding, but sometimes it may take a long time for a fish to settle in and start feeding. I think you can just try feeding different (especially high quality frozen/live) to try and entice feeding. The only other problem I can think of is water quality, so check your water parameters for excessive ammonia/nitrite, or incorrect pH/general hardness.

Lastly, you could try putting a deposit on those discus from the LFS you want, and then wait till your other discus are ok before taking them home.

Sorry if any of this information is wrong, HIH :D

sammigold
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
Set up a quarantine tank!

Discus can take a while to settle down... I wouldnt be treating with metro unless I was sure that they had an illness. Its a pretty full on medication.

JMO but treating a fish just because it isnt eating is probably a little bit too cautious.. I feel that if you treat fish with meds they can eventually become immune to the actual benefit.. (like humans that take to many antibiotics - you build up a resilience against the med.) You may find that one day when you do have a really sick fish that it wont respond as well to the meds.
I assume you have the other two in the tank as well that arent sick at all.... so you are treating them needlessly... (hope I dont sound too harsh)

I would be giving them a while longer to settle in and maybe encouraging them to eat by giving them live brine shrimp or bloodworms which they seem to find irresistable. JMO

I would nt add any new fish unless quarantined as you dont want to risk them or your current fish.

again this is just my opinion others may feel differently... and I am sure they will post their opinions too.

good luck with whatever you decide. :-)

Phlipper
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'd go along with exactly what sammigold suggests and the general rule for discus is to have 1 fish per 40 to 50 litres of water approx, or 1 fish to about 10 gallons of water.

dntx5b9
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:00 PM
Well the guy in question was eating for two weeks before stopped eating. So, I am guessing something is wrong with him. Other than not eating, he looks good, although not as active as before. Have been doing almost daily 20% water changes in my 90G and have been doing metro for a week. Don't know what else to do... I am going to hold off on getting new fish for a while.

Phlipper
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 09:19 PM
Holding off for a while is a wise move, or at least until the fish that is of concern comes good. I think the metro is an overkill at this stage, any chance of a picture or two ?

Be patient about getting some more fish yet, more nice ones will come along eventually..........they always do, and this is why so many of us end up with multiple aquaria :roll: And quarantining is soooooooooo important. :idea:

dntx5b9
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:04 AM
I will try to get a pic of the guy in question, but to be honest, he appears to be a dead ringer for your guy in your avatar. :wink:

Phlipper
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 07:10 AM
I will try to get a pic of the guy in question, but to be honest, he appears to be a dead ringer for your guy in your avatar. :wink:

Hmmm, " dead ringer ".....maybe not the best term to use in the current circumstances :shock: .......just curious as to how thin he/she may be is all.

Mulisha
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:43 AM
When ur guy stopped eating did you notice white poop? What temp do you have your tank at sometimes incressing ur temp a little makes them want more food.

Good Luck Mate

Rick. 8-)

Phlipper
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 09:12 AM
Cant help but notice on this forum that as soon a someone sees white poop they scream "HEXAMITA".......though it is always a possibility, most times I believe that is not the case at all. When I feed my Discus, or in fact any of my Angels Beefheart they always poop white, not the case with other foods, so look towards the diet to begin with may be wise before administering strong medications :idea:

Nathan
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
i agree phlipper, everyone goes staright to the conclusion of hex, an i agree dpending on what u feed them depends on the colour of there poop.

also every now an then there will be a bit of white poop as i believe it is stomach lining which you often see in poop?

dntx5b9
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:44 PM
My guy is actually not that thin, although his belly is little bit concaved in, at least that's what it looks like. He looks pretty good for a guy who hasn't eaten in over a week. The tank temp is between 82~84 F, and don't remember seeing white poop. Anyhow, I will keep everyone updated and try to get a pic up soon. Yes, "dead ringer" was not the right words to use under the circumstances...

Phlipper
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
By chance is he the smallest Discus in the tank ? I've learnt the hard way with most fish, Discus included that it pays to have equal size fish in the tank or the smallest always become the underdog, usually resulting in one not eating or growing well and becoming reclusive. If this is the case the only real solution is to move the minors to a different tank and allow them to grow away from competition.

Ben
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 11:14 PM
There are two real nice discus at the same LFS that I bought the three from and I want to get them before someone else does

LOL!

I always think the same thing! Thats why i have over 30 tanks now!!

Go buy yourself another tank mate!

Cheers
Ben :D

dntx5b9
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:59 PM
The guy who's still not eating is the biggest guy in the tank. He became the boss the moment he arrived and was doing real well for two weeks, and then one morning, went on a hunger strike. He's been like that for 10 days now... :(