PDA

View Full Version : Tanins?

80in55
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 03:49 PM
Okay, so I know that Peat will release Tanins, as well as driftwood sometimes. Now, is tanins what causes the tea coloring in the water? If so, how would you remove this tea coloring other than water changes?? I would like to use Peat in my filtration, but I don't want to have tea colored water.

FishLover
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
No you can not. Carbon will remove that but it also remove all other good things from peat.

You either have to live with the color or not use peat. If you are trying to soft water, use something like Discus Buffer. Some people don't like it but I have no ill effect so far after about 4 months now.

80in55
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 04:40 PM
Okay, that's what I was thinking too. I guess I can get some Discus buffer, and use that in my W/C and what not. What about the Black Water Extract? What all will that do for the water and the Discus?

Phlipper
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 11:26 AM
Black water extract to my knowledge will also stain your water, what makes you think you need to add anything anyway ?.........if your water is already soft and has a low PH then use it as it is.

80in55
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 11:29 AM
Black water extract to my knowledge will also stain your water, what makes you think you need to add anything anyway ?.........if your water is already soft and has a low PH then use it as it is.

I just want what is best for my discus when I get them!! I'm trying to gain knowledge so I don't kill a GEORGOUS creature!!

nicholas76
Thu Aug 31, 2006, 06:15 AM
Yep Black water extract will make your tank a tea colour for sure!

id go teh other direction and utilise a good carbon filter to improve your existing water and not worry about adding things to it

check out products like bio zorb .

Phlipper
Thu Aug 31, 2006, 07:37 AM

I just want what is best for my discus when I get them!! I'm trying to gain knowledge so I don't kill a GEORGOUS creature!!

It's not so much what you add or dont add to the water to keep your Discus or other fish happy, the biggest factor in healthy Discus is lots of water changes.........40% twice weekly is the suggested amount.