PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water Vs UV Steriliser

cloudy Water
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
hi Guys

how are you all?

i wish you lighten me regarding my cloudy water issue.

here is my some background information...
tank: 200 litres
filter: 2300 litre per hour flow rate, this consists of 2 canisters.
10% water change daily
Ph: 6.8
WaterTemp: 30 degree
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
9 2-3 inches discuses
16 neon tetra
feed twice a day with dry food and blood worm/beef heart/shrimp.
thin layer of gravel

i had this tank for more than 5 months, the water was quite clear and ok, but 3 weeks ago, the tank water start clouding, it is likely to a baterial bloom, it has not been improving these 3 weeks. it also has algae green spot built up on the inside tank glass.

i tested the phosphate this evening, it goes up to the roof, more than 10 ppm.

i understand that the cloudy water was caused by the phosphate, and phosphate was caused by the over stocking, over feeding, etc... but i dont think my scenario doesnot seem to be over stocking or over feeding.

i m lost now.

but i m thinking will a UV steriliser help? even though UV sterilier is for killing the algae bateria, but will it also kill phosphate?

what should i do to overcome this cloudy water issue?

any advice is welcome and appreciated.

rgds
CloudyWater

samir
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
try 50% water changes daily till it goes away and feed less. or try something on this page http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category9_1.htm
oh and you cannot kill phosphate its dead already :P

cloudy Water
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:10 PM
do i still need an UV steriliser?

what do u mean by the phosphate already dead? i think it is blooming.

samir
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:31 PM
phosphate is a salt. one phosphorus atom and four oxygen atoms thus PO4. it is not a living thing. algae blooms if you have high phosphates.

cloudy Water
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
how do i get rid of this phosphate?

80in55
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
You can get a phosphate removal media to place in your filter, or you can get a fluidized bed filter and place the media in there. Try using RO water for changes, this will grealty reduce the amount of phosphates in the water!

Phlipper
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 01:12 PM
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned the filters ? especially the inlet and return pipes ?
Your filter set up is huge, way too much water flow, and doubtful any sediment will ever settle long enough to be filtered out, especially if you are doing daily water changes..............one of those filters you have is more than enough for a 200 litre tank.

Your clouding may also be from the type of flake food you are feeding, some flake foods, usually the cheaper ones have a nasty habit of clouding the water and often the fish refuse to eat it, consequently the phosphate level is often too high. I have found two types of flake food I previously used had this effect.