PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Discus Trace

Davo
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 09:48 AM
Has anybody used Seachem Discus Trace? If you have did it work/was it effective?

Thanks,
Dave.

Nathan
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 10:27 AM
i use it all the time, i find after using it my discus are more active after w/c. Of course you dont need to use it but i choose to

Proteus
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:21 PM
Like Nathan, I use it pretty much all the time. It adds trace elements into the water that we generally cannot provide. Whilst it isnt some miracle additive, I find the fish are a lot more active, and there colours are more vibrant.

Davo
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I think I'll order some with my next order from APW.

Diamond
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 07:45 AM
how about Geoliquid? Has anyone tried that before and what do they think?

Phlipper
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:00 AM
Just how active does a Discus need to be ? ....mine are always hyper anyway without any addatives ?

Nathan
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:23 AM
there has been quite a few threads on geliquid an most of them ppl dont really use or like the stuff, they think its ok but there are a lot better products out there.

do a search on the forum for geoliquid an have a read

*Chris*
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:37 AM
anything that claims to add mineral salts and elements while getting rid of your chlorine chloromine and heavy metals is utter crap
most of these products when put together WILL react with eachother and the result is either a bloated bottle or lack of performance from either of the products mixed
most customers upon buying geoliquid and using it for more than a month or two come back complaining there fish are dying or look unhappy .

Nathan
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:24 AM
lol there goes another account!

Phlipper
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:05 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Discus in it's wild form likes nice clean, very soft acidic water.........the term "soft" generally indicates there is very little or no mineral salts, calcium, carbonates etc etc etc etc in the water, which is why they like rainwater, so why add anything except maybe PH lowering items and softening agents like well micro filtered water, rainwater, peat and the like ?

FishLover
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:08 PM
Discus Trace is used for people using R/O water, which stripped out everything, including the necessary trace minerals for Discus. If you use pure R/O water all the time, your discus will die sooner or later.

The purpose of Discus Trace is to put back the good minerals that R/O took out. It sure has it's place the fish keeping.

As for people who don't use RO water, there may not be a need to use Discus Trace.

lesley
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
If you use rainwater, as I do - no choice, you definitely have to add carbonates, minerals, etc. I use geoliquid regularly, two to three times a week with my water change, as well as adding carbonates. Haven't tried Seachem trace, might compare prices and give it a try. I can't see how using geoliquid would kill your fish, maybe if you are relying on it instead of a water change???

If I was just running the water through, I would probably be okay without additives, but keeping the same water for more than 24 hours without additives means a pH crash.

goldfish
Sun Aug 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
there is this solution that i bought call Geo solution Liquid, its like a copy of the real Geoliquid. It works fine, havent got any problem with it. I set up a new 2ft tank and used this product and the discus are fine and eating well. I guess it depends on abit of luck and the quality of your maintenance of the tank aswell.