PDA

View Full Version : Suggested filter for 80 Litre tank

weird
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:13 AM
Hello

I have a new small discus (very healthly but still quite young) in a bare bottom tank, with sponge filter, 8 adult Bistlnose (may sell some of these to make for more room). 1/3 water change a day. 80 litre tank.

I currently have an internal filter which I am worried produces too strong of a current for the discus.

I want to feed about 4 times a day (small meals), and can do an extra water change if required. I currently put two slices of cucumber in the tank a day for the BN. There will be no more added discus to this tank - as I am just using this setup to quarantine him and fatten him up a little.

Anyone suggest a good filter for this situation. Also anyone see any potential problems I may have with the current setup.

DR.V
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:24 AM
I found that when you feed cucumber the water will go cloudy easily. So you need to do daily w/c or every second day at least.

If I were you , I iight want to add cannister filter. Small ones. The size of eheim 2213.

marg
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 10:51 AM
Zucchini seems to work better than Cucumber, and doesn't make the water go cloudy.

marg.

DR.V
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 11:06 AM
Cucumber are cheaper .... lol

weird
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 01:06 PM
"Eheim Classic 2213 Canister Filter

For aquariums up to 250 litres. Pumps 440 lph."

may be still a little too powerful for an 80 litre ?

Although a spray bar may help alleviate this.

Any other filter suggestions for an 80 litre ?

I will post some pictures of the discus soon, when I clean the glass, such a cute little penang eruption. We (that is the mrs) picked the guy with a super personality... he is so hypoactive !!

taksan
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 04:08 AM
A 2213 is perfect for that tank

Nathan
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 06:16 AM
im running a 2213 for my 3ft planted tank, never had a problem with it an its dead silent, an thhere is 0 current with the spray bar

weird
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 10:48 AM
Twisting the rubber arm !!!!!

Okay. no other suggestions I am sold.

Another quality purchase from SLS ... not sure if it is the lighting in my tank, but this little guy is like a neon light in my tank (ok I am exaggerating )... but penang eruption is pretty nice.

DR.V
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hmm I never believe what the instruction says LOL

Just follow my instinct from experices when buying filter.

"Eheim Classic 2213 Canister Filter For aquariums up to 250 litres. Pumps 440 lph." ??

Well for 250 L tank I would go for the bigger ones lol , but its just my opinion.

Penang eruption ?? Photos ! Photos ! Photos ! Photos ! Photos ! Photos ! Photos !