PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Sudden Behaviour Change

dntx5b9
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 01:43 PM
My discus saga continues. :( Got three new discus just over two weeks ago and added them to the main tank. The fish looked good and they were at the LFS for couple of months before I got them. They also Q their fish (only one in the area to do so). Anyhow, the new guys (there were 2 in the tank originally) were doing fine. One of the three I got was the biggest, so he became the new boss. The biggest guy started eating right away and was doing real well. The two other smaller ones took few days to start eating and feel comfortable in the tank. So, I thought after about 10 days, everything was good. But two days ago, the biggest guy stopped eating and kinda hanging out in the top, back of the tank. I did water changes Friday and Saturday. After the first water change, the big guy seemed more active, but still not eating. This morning, the big guy and another new small guy are side by side not really moving, but just staying in one corder. I just dosed the tank with Metro. I kept a single guy for over a year with no problem, so, got the confidence to get more, and now I am having all sorts of problems. Any idea what may be going on? Water parameters are real good. All other fish in the tank seem fine. :x

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:42 AM
This is a fairly common scenario, and I really think it's to do with with fish being moved from one tank to another with slightly different water and tankmates. It's enough to stress their natural immune system and leave them open to some kind of bacterial infection.

I think dosing with metro is a good move. Continue to do that twice daily for 5 days, and keep doing those daily water changes.

Then it's just a waiting game.

Good luck.

dntx5b9
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did another water change last night and everyone seem more active. I was planning on doing one metro does per day, but I will do two going forward and continue with the daily water changes. Everyone is eating except for the biggest guy, but appearance wise, he (she?) looks real good.

dntx5b9
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 12:42 AM
A quick update. Did another water change and a dose of metro couple of hours ago. The big guy is still not eating, but he must feel better. He is again trying to assert his dominance chasing the smaller guys here and there. That is a good sign, right?

dntx5b9
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 02:59 AM
Still not eating :cry: , although he showed some interest during feeding tonight...

dntx5b9
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have been dosing metro for over a week now. Discus still not eating but seems like in a good shape otherwise. Doesn't look thin, cruises around the tank now and then... Is there anything else I need/can do? What could be wrong with him?

dntx5b9
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 04:34 PM
OK, the sick guy is still not eating but alive. He has gotten thinner. I was on vacation last week for a week, and I thought for sure that he was going to die while I was on vacation. But he still lives. The other day, I noticed a white discharge from his anus. Didn't look like poop or worm, but looked somewhat like some sort of film, lining, or membrane? Any idea? It's almost been a month since I saw this guy eat. I stopped treating the tank with metro. I am doing water changes deligently and just hope he gets better, but I am not very optimistic. :(

shayesmommy
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:39 PM
sounds like my fish.
what do you feed..
Maybe try different frozen foods until u find something he likes. Or soak it with garlic gaurd. and if still nothing redose with Metro.. But if you could do it in a different tank might be better

dntx5b9
Tue Sep 05, 2006, 01:33 AM
Well, found him dead this morning. May he rest in peace. I guess I will keep trying. Still have 4 discus in my tank. One guy's one eye is not very clear and somewhat swollen, but he is eating well. But the other three seem pretty healthy...