PDA

View Full Version : Revamped my tank - honest opinions greatly appreciated

SandyLynne
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:53 PM
I have spent the last week removing gravel on each water change and spent the day yesterday removing the remaining gravel and replacing with Silica Pool Filter Sand.

I am hopeless at decor and am after some suggestions please? :P

SandyLynne
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:55 PM
My babies

shewey
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 03:27 AM
Hi Sandy,

Your tank looks lovely with the pool sand and thats a nice piece of driftwood you have there.

I think you could put a few tall plants at the very back to give it a better look depth wise. You could also tie a few java ferns along the piece of driftwood too which would make it look great.

Beautiful Discus! Great job.

Mark.

chris
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:46 AM
Thats great, I like it, few taller plants would be nice.
I like the substrate to.
How many discus have you got there, what size is the tank.

Mulisha
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:47 AM
Very Very nice tank and love the white sand. Like what was stated above some taller plants maybe some vals to cover those canister outlets etc. Maybe a feature large plant as well.

Post up tank size, how many fish, filters etc etc it's always good to know what people use to get such a nice lookin tank.

Ben
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:57 PM
New set up looks great!

SandyLynne
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 08:35 PM
Thankyou for your help guys

It definately needs some tall plants maybe with some colour? Eg Tiger Lotus - Red, but will this require CO2?

It is a 5" tank 5"x2"x1.5" 420 lites

Fish
11 x Discus
4 x Siamese Algae Eaters (No slgae but gee they grow quickly)
4 x bristlenose
2 x Panda Corycats
4 x Peppers Corycats
4 x White tip ornate Tetras
3 x Clown loaches (No snails but gee they grow quickly)
Cardinals
Rummynose
6 x honey dwarf gourami
4 x Mystery Snails

Filters
JBL Cristal Profi Canister Filter CP500 and the
Aqua One CF1000 Canister Filter

50% water change every 2 days

Lighting - 4 x 4" fluro lights.

Plants
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Echinodorus amazonnicus
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus cordifolius
Echinodorus major
Echinodorus osiris
Echinodorus 'Red Diamond'
Echinodorus tenellus

No CO2 :cry:

For fertiliser I have been using Seachem Flourish Excel & JBL pressed fertilizing balls when I had the gravel and found them excellent except if they get moved, then make a puff of brown smoke. :oops:

I need new fertiliser & am thinking of using Seachem Flourish Tabs.
Has anyone used them before?

The more I look at the tank the more I dislike it. When I was changing the gravel I moved all of the plant to one end which left the bare end with the driftwood. All the family loved it and said leave it that way, which I did when I finished the revamp, but I think I preferred the driftwood smack bang in the middle of the tank with plants all over the tank.

Some people are so creative with their tanks but unfortunately I do not have a creative bone in me. :cry: