PDA

View Full Version : lowering the PH

azzakat
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:14 PM
Just was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap way to lower the PH :?: .
I have been using a PH down buffer but i'm finding this way rather exspensive as i have 4 tanks to maintain (so far :D )

Proteus
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:17 PM
Peat

azzakat
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:51 PM
so when i do w/c put peat in the tank to bring my tap water (PH 7) down slowly. Is that right wont the sudden change of a low PH (6.3 in tank) to a high PH (7.0 Tap) be harmful.

Phlipper
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 01:57 AM
My findings are that peat only lowers PH a little bit, but does a good job of softening the water, but on the downside will stain the water a tea colour :? . and it wont lower PH instantly, but over a period of a few days.

A sudden change of PH may harm the fish ???, but depends also on just how much water you change at once. I have never had a problem with adding aged tap water into my tank, but I try to keep my tank PH at around 6.8 mark so the difference is not huge. You will likely find if you are doing 30% changes, and adding the water slowly it will gradually mix in with the existing tank water and not really have a huge dramatic effect on PH. The main thing to be careful of I think is to make sure the water hardness is identical, I personally use a 70/30 mix of tap water and rainwater and consistantly top up with that mix.

MattB
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 11:33 AM
Just a quick question on pH:

Earlier today I did a practice water change (tank only has neons atm) with water straight from the tap (added chlorine neutraliser/water ager) of about 25%. My water hardness increased from 3dH to 4dH, pH went from 6.7 to about 6.8-6.9 after the change. I'm just wondering for future water changes that I will do from my water reservoir/tank whether it is worth conditioning the water with measures other than temperature, chlorine neutralisation etc. And are these changes in pH/gH too drastic for discus to bear?

Thanks a lot :)

Matt

DR.V
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 01:59 PM
IMO, when you age your water it is worth adding dechlorine chemical or water ager.

Such increase in pH wouldnt be a problem, although try to keep steady.

Good luck.