PDA

View Full Version : poor fin condition

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

Its been along time since I've had to post in this section however I have seen a noticable increase in poor fin condition. I have 4 mature discus 2 of them have always had questionable tail fins however I have put into the tank over the last 3 months some smaller fish to grow them out. The babies are now probable 2" and have noticed poor fin conditions on their tail. Its like a chunk is missing and one has discolouration on the tips of his rear fin. not clear.

I have upped the temp from 27/8 to 29-30 and gave a dose of salts a week ago however have not noticed any change. (at least no worse) I also have a couple fo vietnamese sucking cat fish (been in the tank for years) and these guy's fins are really bad ! SHould I keep up the salt treatment or is one week enough. Any idea's on the next step ?

Water conditions: ammo / nitrite 0, ph 6.1 with 11 watt UV 200 litre tank

cheers rob

chris
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 06:38 AM
Salts will help, how often are you water changing.
Any aggression in tank?
Sometime less dominant fish can have ratty looking fins, cause they are getting harrassed, bit of stress comes out?
Not Sure. Just a thought :P

Bad Inferno
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 06:48 AM
Hi Chris

I change 15% water daily..however only done one salt treatment

chris
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 06:51 AM
Are you thinking it may be Bacterial?
Melafix??? keep dosing with Salt.
Picture may help. :cry:

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:44 AM
Sounds like bacterial fin rot. Get a specific treatment from your local fish shop, and it should clear up within a few days.

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I think I will have to try something else as its has not got any better (nor any worse)

ANy recommendations on the brand of treatment ? I assume I will ahve to take out my carbon that I use in one of my canister trays ?

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 04:13 AM
Yes you will.

I don't use carbon in any of my filters. Jack Wattley seems to think it strips the water.

The only time you should use it is after treating the tank, when you want to remove the last of the medication.

I have found "Waterlife" products to be very good, but there are lots of reputable brands on the market.

Bad Inferno
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 04:17 AM
I have tried some melafix for the last 10 days. Although I think I under-dosed a little however fin condition has not really improved.

I'll go to my LFS and see what else they may have.

rob

Bad Inferno
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:18 AM
OK went to LFS and was talked into more Melafix. This time I will follow direction and do a full dose for the 7 days. They sold me pond melafix as it is 5 time stronger

5ml per 200 litres instead of 5ml per 40l

Gotta luv perfect fins. I think these fish had been nibbled by my red tail shark when they had been young..

Bad Inferno
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:08 AM
I have now tried one course of Malafix and a 5 day course of Myxazin (Waterlife antibacteria) and although the fins are no worse they are not getting any better.

Water temp 28.5-30 deg
Ammonia 0
w/c (2 x 25%) per week

not a good shot below however you can see the fin edge (hasn't changed for weeks)..I feel like getting him out and trimming the fin with the clippers....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/findamage-1.jpg