PDA

View Full Version : Power Compact Lighting

APW
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 08:46 AM
Just an FYI that we will soon be stocking a select range of Aqualina Power Compact lighting products.

From tubes, right through to reflectors and add ons such as moonlights etc.

2ft, 3ft, 4ft, 5ft & 6ft high quality reflectors will be available, using 24w, 36w, 55w & 96w Power Compact tubes.

We will also be increasing our range of HO T5 lights and reflectors.

We will also match, and/or better any legitimate competitors price, or discounted price on any identical in-stock item.

Thank you

Davo
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 09:54 AM
What brand/s of CF will you be stocking?

Dave.

APW
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:02 PM
I believe they are made by Phillips, under agreement from Catalina/Aqualina.

We would like to stock GE but they are not the right sized socket and dont have Australian approval.

From the feedback we have received, these tubes are as good, if not better than the highly popular GE 55w tubes used in the U.S.

The tubes will be very well priced as well, with 96w PC's selling for less than $45

Most of these reflectors have the option of a Cathode moonlight strip built in, utilising the entire length of the reflector. Plus the option to have 1 or multiple power cords for timer usage (all lights are on indiviual switches however).

I am sure when the prices are released you will be more than interested given the fact that these are quality built reflectors, and best of all are Australian Made.

Davo
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:36 PM
It would be great if you could import the GE 9325k tubes. GE make the 9325k tubes which everyone in the US rave about. The GE9325k 55w tubes fit sockets which you can buy over here. They are straight 4 pin sockets not the 4 pin square type.

Some guys have had them shipped over here from the US and they rave about them. I just shipped over 3 x 6700k and 3 x 10000k tubes from AH Supply in New York for my 4x2x2 tank.

What kelvin rating are the Phillips tubes, are they 5400k, 6700k etc?

Dave.

APW
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:57 PM
Some guys have had them shipped over here from the US and they rave about them. I just shipped over 3 x 6700k and 3 x 10000k tubes from AH Supply in New York for my 4x2x2 tank.

As a business we cannot do this. These products have not been approved for Australian use, meaning if anything was to go wrong, or electrical issues arise from the use of such a product the company importing or supplying such a product could be held legally responsible. On top of that, you render any home and contents insurance policy null and void, as well as personal injury liability.

Insurance companies have wised up over the years, and if ever there is a claim relating to an electrical product, the assessors quite often go hunting high and low for offending items.

Add to this, GE's subsidiary in Australia wont import them as it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to get the Approvals and Permits required. This has been raised many times, and those that choose to use a product not rated for Australian use, do so at there own risk. (whilst this risk may seem minimal, it is sill there)

As for the Kelvin and lumens, we will get that data for you tomorrow, however there is a choice of approx 6 spectra.

Also, as a responsible business we would prefer to support local businesses and manufacturers, plus the knowledge that a lot of new products relating to aquaria lighting is just around the corner I dont think we need to follow suit what is going on overseas.

Davo
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 01:29 PM
No dramas as I am all for supporting local businesses and I have done so on many occasions but when I cannot get decent 55w CF tubes over here I will look elsewhere including OS.

I don't really think that the tubes are a safety risk and if there was a problem I think the insurance companies would be hard pressed to prove that the tubes were at fault.

I understand where you are coming from but as I said at the time I could not find anything comparable to the US tubes over here so I had to look OS. I will always buy locally if the produst is good quality but if it is not I will look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Dave.

APW
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 01:45 PM
Regarding the safety risk, as previously stated, it is probably only minimal. And as for trying to seek what may have caused an issue would be difficult, it is a possibility. We are simply erring on the side of caution.

One fact that is true is that quality CF tubes and equipment has been very difficult in the past to obtain locally, and yes, if you want or need something you look elsewhere. Hopefully this range of products will put an end to the drought we have been having in regards to this type of lighting technology, and the more popular it becomes, the more suppliers will take note and start making such products available.

At the end of the day it should be win/win for all parties involved.

upikabu
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 02:56 PM
Any chance of stocking small PC lighting for nano tanks in the future? Thanks.

APW
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 12:16 AM

What size are you specifically referring to and we will see what we can get from the supplier.

APW
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 12:54 AM
What kelvin rating are the Phillips tubes, are they 5400k, 6700k etc?

Some more info on these lights.

They are manufactured by Phillips, however they are made under license so are not branded as Phillips.

Because PC tubes have more flexibility than regular tubes, many are 50/50 in spectrum.

Examples of such are:

10000k/10000k
10000k/450nm
10000k/420nm
10000k/6500k (Plant)
10000k/5900k (Plant)
420nm/420nm (Actinic)
450nm/450nm (Blue)
6500k/420nm (Plant)
5000k-UVA-UVB (Reptile)

upikabu
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 01:57 AM

What size are you specifically referring to and we will see what we can get from the supplier.

1ft reflectors or smaller, usually they come with 18w, 13w, or 9w PC bulbs (single or double) and can be either hung on the back of the tank on a leg or have legs on both ends. Thanks!

APW
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 09:58 PM
upikabu, we will make some enquiries and let you know.

Grae
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:09 AM
I dont know much about pc lighting but when i recently broke a 36 watt one recently( dont ask please)
I took what was left down to my local Lamp Replacment store, and came homw with 2 GE cf tubes. I only needed 4500k tubes and thats what i got.

I guess what im asking is it only some GE tubes that arent available?

Graeme

Proteus
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:17 AM
I guess what im asking is it only some GE tubes that arent available?

From what I know some of the standard GE Power Compact tubes are available here, I think it is an issue with the HO & VHO varieties of there tubes which are very popular stateside. (due to the gases or something within the tube, they need to get a seperate approval, or something down that line.)

In essence, we can only hope this changes, and I guess the more people that try PC lighting the more popular it will become, therefore more of a choice will be available for us.

I am looking at getting a 5ft unit which includes 2 x 96w PC's & 2 x 55w PC's also hoping to get the moonlight option fitted as well. With such a unit like this retailing for approx $450 or less inc tubes in a sleek anodised aluminium pendant, with seperate controls, it is well worth the cost, especially to try a new toy... lol

Davo
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:47 PM
APW,

The GE tubes that are raved about in the states are the 55w 9325k's. The model or order number is F55BX-AR-FS. They only come in 55w.

55 Watt 20.7" 4 Pin Biax - Aquarium Fresh & Saltwater Phosphor
Code: F55BX-AR-FS
55 Watts
Length: 20.7"
Use: Aquarium Fresh & Saltwater Phosphor
Average Life: 10,000 Hours
Initial Lumens: 4800
Color Temperature: 9325K
CRI: 67

I don't know if you can source them but it would be interesting to see if they are as good as they say.

Dave.

APW
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 11:53 PM
The only place to source the above mentioned GE tube is in the U.S.

Time permitting, we should have the new range of Power Compact lights and accessories loaded on the site sometime today.

Davo
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 06:58 AM
It is too much of a hassle trying to source things in the US especially considering it looks like I can finally get decent 55w CF tubes over here.

When my 3 x 6700k and 3 x 10000k tubes need replacing I will order some new ones. That is if I don't buy some MH for the tank.

APW
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 09:01 AM
Power Compact reflectors, with built in moonlight option can be found Here. (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=84)

Moonlight units, utilising Cold Cathode technology can be found Here. (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=139)

Power Compact light tubes can be found Here. (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=58)

More Power Compact tubes are to be added as well as single and combo Power Compact reflectors.

These units are made to order, if you want an extra power lead for the use of a timer etc, an additional $23.95 charge will apply.

Sime76
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
what is the pin config on these pc tubes?

Lucifer
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:05 AM
what are the lenght of the 18w, 24w, 36w, 55w and 96w tubes?