PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salt.

Mulisha
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 07:08 AM
Hi

I'm woundering were can you buy epsom Salt as i need to add some to my planted tank as i have no GH. Is there any other ways to increase GH?
Does epsom salt effect plants in any way? Is the epsom salt kill plants like rock salt does?

Cheers Guys

Rick.

Phlipper
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 10:32 AM
Epsom salt should be available in any supermarket or the like, it's a very common product, but not so sure you want to use that to raise your water hardness...........to be safe it may be wise to go to a fish store and buy proper buffering agents.

Matt_Discus
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 12:42 PM
Epson salt can be purchased at any supermarkets in the pharmacy section or at your local chemist, it will help bring up the gh but make sure you don't put too much if you don't want ya gh too high it is sage for aquariums as I have been using it for my African cichlid setups :) :) :)

Mulisha
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 09:45 PM
Epson salt can be purchased at any supermarkets in the pharmacy section or at your local chemist, it will help bring up the gh but make sure you don't put too much if you don't want ya gh too high it is sage for aquariums as I have been using it for my African cichlid setups :) :) :)

Cheers mate 8-)

para
Thu Aug 17, 2006, 03:19 AM
Bunning $5 to $6 gardening section.

Mulisha
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys got myself some epsom salt from the supermarket :)

One question is it ok to use a 250ml bottle of water and mix the epsom salt in that so after w/c i can just add 5ml or so?

Is this ok? :P

*Chris*
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
i dont see a reason why you couldnt :D

Mulisha
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:52 AM
ok sweet thanks mate 8-)

Nathan
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:55 AM
just make sure you keep an eye on your water params until you get into a routine an work out how much you should be dosing

Mulisha
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:58 AM
yeah 33G of Epsom Salt per 10G which is 40L will rasie your mg by 1 degree so i'll start with maybe a little less becuase i have no calicum in the at the moment.. :roll:

Nathan
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:00 AM
yea id definitely start slow as discus dont do to wel with big water param swings, especially ph. Also i found with adding kh to do it really slowly aswel, but of course with secondary effect of it raising your ph.

unfortunately i found out the hard way, well there a lot better now but yea id hate the same thing happen to you!!