PDA

View Full Version : Fish shop in melbourne

Diamond
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 07:08 AM
Hi guys, i just got down in melbourne.
just wondering if anyone knows good aquarium shop in melbourne east?
if they could list the address here would be awesome!

thanks

nicholas76
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 08:37 AM
in terms of discus,, best go the trade post but if your just tyre kicking go to oakliegh aquariam, they have the biggest discus range for an lfs

Diamond
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 03:14 AM
any aquarium shop that sells any fish

gro
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 05:07 AM
here you go;

eastern districts aquarium society web page - go to sponsors and it will give you a huge list:

http://www.edas.com.au/

this should tie you over for awhile!

gro

Diamond
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 10:50 AM
thanks for the info gro, went to a few shops.

Diamond
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, these are the fish shops that I have been to on the East side of Melbourne.

Last weekend I went to:
1)8 Boronia Rd, Vermont. A long row of tanks.Ordinary place. :? :roll:
2)26 lake Rd, Blackburn. Turns out to be a house and the guy said he only does maintenance even though he advertise as a fish shop.Crap :argue :newbie
3)365 Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley. Call Amazing Amazon,have to give them credit for trying to make the place like an amazon. Have cool tortoise set up in huge tanks!Quite alot of tanks aswell.Sells snakes and other reptiles too!Not bad, worth seeing. :thumb :D
4)176 Warrigal Rd Oakleigh. Not a bad place, mainly sells discus and has alot of them. A very weird place though, had to ring the door bell and a guy comes down and watch you as you look at his fish, very small L shape room where he sits at the door on a plastic chair and watch both sides of the L while listening to his walkman!I guess he probably lives up stairs or something!Probably worth seeing if you are into discus. :thumb :D

Yesterday I went to:
4)141 Whitehorse Rd, Blackburn. A couple nice big planted display tanks, but not that many fish tanks. :) :?
5)1310 High St, Wartina South. It has bloody closed down. Wasted my petrol. :banghead
6)Unit 32 Twin Towers 756 Burwood Hwy Ferntree Gully. Located in one of those industrial area next to those mechanic shop.Shop not open and looks like a warehouse that has no fish in it except a large industrial garage door and sells dog food only. :banghead :ug
7)262 Dorset Arc, Boronia. Not a bad shop, similar size to the Amazing Amazon. Sells quite alot of accessories but too expensive for my wallet. They have the cheapest Siamese algae eater i have so far though! :D :ug

These are the 7 fish shops i've been to so far on the East side.
Will update as I explore more.

endless
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 03:08 AM
Theres a wonderful invention called a telephone. Use that first before you go halfway across melbourne. That way you wont have to smack your head against a wall. :)

PS great review though

Dee
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 05:32 AM
Diamond,

Subscape in Victoria St, Richmond, is one of the better, if not best Aquariums in Melbourne. Nice cross section of fish to look at and a nice selection of discus too.

While your there MAKE SURE you check out thier TRUE Altum display tank ... I almost wet my self every time I see those fish :oops: ... HUGE and stunning !

Mathew or Justin there are always happy to help with any questions, nice guys too.

Cheers,

Dee.

nicholas76
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 05:39 AM
Lol spot on Dee

Subscape do have a pretty awsum set up,,, those altums rock

Diamond
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:47 AM
was driving a company car, so petrol wasnt an issue! i wanted to look around anyway so i drove past the shops!

I went to the Victoria Rd in Richmond, its the best one so far. The altum display tank is awesome, I think they are the best colony of altums in australia! massive the size of john howards head!
has alot of rare fish aswell!
i notice new fish tanks and accessories in melbourne are bloody rip off compare to sydney!

goldenpigeon
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 10:36 AM
i think glass must be expensive in melbourne or something because i have had people tell me that a new 4x18x18 has costed them almost $300.... i have acess to them at $75 each (free drilling BTW :P).

yer mate i have to say that u been to pick up the good old phone, company car or not its frustrating when you travel 20 minutes to a place that isnt even open

Diamond
Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:55 AM
yeah abit frustrating to turn up to a shop thats close down.
i think the owner that had to close down are even more frustrated!hehe

the cheapest standard 4ft tank i have seen is $130!expensive compare to 90 in sydney!