PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeders in sa

Benno_17
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 01:00 AM
can any1 recomenned any discus breeders in south australia? i would like to have a look at any pics of discus if possible and an average cost

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:10 AM
can any1 recomenned any discus breeders in south australia? i would like to have a look at any pics of discus if possible and an average cost

Hi Benno

i wish you luck, but if you restrict yourself to a state, you will reduce your changes ofcourse......breeding is not easy only a few of us have luck, so leave your options open to all states, afterall it doesnt matter where fish come from as shipping them is simple.....good luck.....Jim

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 06:56 PM
Hi Benno,

Welcome to the forum. If you are new to Discus I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here, it's a fantastic place to learn about them.

There are many members here that breed Discus, some of which are among the top breeders in Australia such as Rod Lewis (Sunshine Discus), Merrilyn (Lady Red) and Brad (Crocky), you can contact all of them via this forum to see what they have available.

I agree with Jim that you are not wise limiting yourself to SA as shipping is easy these days. Enjoy your stay!
Cheers
MAC

samir
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 12:20 AM
There are many members here that breed Discus, some of which are among the top breeders in Australia such as Rod Lewis (Sunshine Discus), Merrilyn (Lady Red) and Brad (Crocky), you can contact all of them via this forum to see what they have available.

I think Mac forgot to mention himself :D :D, I'm still reeling from seeing pics of his fish room. what was the link again ? i'd like to get a closer look at the plumbing.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks Samir but I think I have plenty to learn before I enter the league of the three people I mentioned.

The link for the fishroom is http://community.webshots.com/user/mistakesarecrucial and when you want to build yours give me a shout and I'll let you know all the mistakes we made lol!
Cheers
MAC

davowalla
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 09:10 AM
but does anyone know breeders that live in sa so we can have a look at the stock not just with photos?

Benno_17
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 11:45 AM
thats wat i meant, i like to actually see the fish i am going to buy not so much pics of the parents.

samir
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:36 PM
I am sure you will get very healthy fish from the breeders Mac mentioned. a pic of the parents would give you a pretty good idea what the fry would turn into. also these are people of very good repute and you will be virtually assured of excellent stock.

mcloughlin2
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:41 PM
Matey , i dont have high hopes of you finding good quality discus in SA ...

Yes its best to see the fish before you buy but if you want quality your going to have to have the discus shipped from somewhere else ...

Come to think of it ... i dont think ive ever seen a breeder from SA on this forum ... :P

chris
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:34 AM
Matey , i dont have high hopes of you finding good quality discus in SA ...

I reckon my discus are of decent quality.

If you like guys I could recommend some good stores to visit.
Most of the stock from SA LFS are from other states anyway, but there suppliers mostly import anyway.

Dont rush excellent Quality fish always come and go from each LFS that I could recomend.
Buying fish at resonble size and age could determine quality :?:

Some pics of my Discus bought locally, and also some ive bred.

chris
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:38 AM
Few more of my new pair.

Mulisha
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:52 AM
Nice fish Chris and you got some good growth off "Fishies 012.jpg" and he has some lovely eyes and what different looking fish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the breeding pair so good to watch :shock:

Phlipper
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah nice stock Chris, but I think the one in 012 has a bit too much peppering for my liking :P

chris
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 07:15 AM
Yeah nice stock Chris, but I think the one in 012 has a bit too much peppering for my liking

I like that Phlipper. :P LOL
Mulisha, intresesting you say that about the eyes, thast the actual colour they were, (no trick photography)she was very young there and she couldnt see.

Phlipper
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 07:21 AM
Off topic I know but how is the puppy these days ? sad to see a pup so young with clouded eyes, my dogs are all 15 years or older and the clouding is expectable at that age but sad for a pup.

SIGNED........dog lover

chris
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh no Phil, all good mate, she was just really young.
Her eyes are perfect, this picture still dosnt help.

Mulisha
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 10:29 AM
Oh no Phil, all good mate, she was just really young.
Her eyes are perfect, this picture still dosnt help.

no it doesn't help look like it's defiently blind now :shock:

his/her eyes are so cool though what type of dog is it ? :wink:

Sorry about going off topic but the dog looks sweet as..

Rick...

Namn8r
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hey benno,

not sure if you can post websites here but try surfsidediscus.com.au they are in gawler, specific breeders. As for lfs discus try....seaview & clear water aquariums & reef N river to name a few. They have clean tanks, healthy discus and should be able to order anything you need.

mcloughlin2
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 12:53 PM
Chris mate im sorry ! Completly forgot about you !!! I had a feeling i'd seen someone on this forum from SA :ug but i was think'n it was just my head .... :lol:

Yes im wrong , your fish are of pretty good quality ... :wink: .. :P

Cheers ... :twisted:

Phlipper
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 01:03 PM
Another place worth looking at for Discus is Reynella Aquariums, they have just expanded and have a good range of quality fish, but like all shops may vary from week to week.

PS : thought I'd help out your poor dog :P

samir
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:49 PM
and these should help it see better :P

Phlipper
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 12:08 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...............looking like a cool dude now 8-)