PDA

View Full Version : tank size

ryeguy
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:02 PM
just wondering what most people have for tank sizes....I've been looking and the most logical would seem to be a 4ft length so that it matches up with the 4 foot shop lights you can buy but i would also be intersted in a bigger tank...Anyone have a 5 or 6 ft tank? How does lighting work with those?....

revkev
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:20 PM
I have a 6x2x2 ft tank with a 6ft compact fluro light with 6x55watt x 6500k10000k tubes.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/hungrydiscus.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/compactflurolight.jpg

Proteus
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:25 PM
My thoughts are, bigger is better...

However I have learnt a few things over the years.

5ft tanks IMO are better than 6ft tanks as there are a lot more options in regards to lighting. Most T5 & Halide fixtures only go up to 5ft, and the ones that do go to 6ft cost a heck of a lot, or simply use the same tube/bulb arrangement as the 5ft fixture (i.e. you are just paying for some extra aluminium).

Other things that can be done on large tanks, 6ft+ is having the width set at either 2ft or 3ft, why? well you can get light fixtures in those sizes very easily, then have them running front to back at select intervals. Obviously there is DIY lighting which eliminates my previous points.

Bigger tanks are more stable in regards to water chemistry than smaller tanks due to the increased volume, and I have found need less water changes, although when you do a water change we are talking changing 200L or there abouts.

You muct also factor in the weight of a tank this size, as you are easily pushing close to 1 Tonne, if not more.

Oh, another thing... depth. If you have a tank that may require regular gravel vaccing etc, anything over 2ft - 2.25ft gets awkward, it can be done but a little more effort is required.

Proteus
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:32 PM
...Aside from the thread I already have in the lounge regarding a few new big tanks I have just set up, I will be starting a full journal on the next tank which is in the process of being built.

7ft x 3ft x 2.25ft + 3ft Sump
Lighting will be 744 watts (4 x 150w MH, 8 x 18w PL)

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:19 AM
just wondering what most people have for tank sizes....I've been looking and the most logical would seem to be a 4ft length so that it matches up with the 4 foot shop lights you can buy but i would also be intersted in a bigger tank...Anyone have a 5 or 6 ft tank? How does lighting work with those?....

Hi Pal.......i have 6 tanks.....all differently set up and different sizes.

Some bare btm some planted..........all need different conditions.......you need to be more specific in what you want to do otherwise you are only wasting your money.....and believe me discus keeping in not for the faint hearted....its a challenge.......have fun.

FishLover
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 01:50 PM
7ft x 3ft x 2.25ft + 3ft Sump

I wonder how much that thing weight? 1.5 ton?

drolling

samir
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:18 PM
well the water would be about 1.3 tons