PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine

aks
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 04:57 PM
Here is something which might test you all...

Yesterday I was at a local wholesale fish store...He had just recieved an overnight consignment of fish from thailand...Most fish come here from thailand and malaysia...Now here is the dilema discus is wanted here by retailers like hell and bilieve me as soon as the wholesaler recieves the fish(all kinds) it takes only hours and he is all out i mean literally hardly a fish in his tank...

-Now I know you guys bilieve that when chosing your fish you should look for healthy ones...The problem is that after a 6 hours flight those fish including discus are sky high on stress scale...New consignments show presence of white spot and white fungus on bodies like itch, heavey breathing...Now you see whole selecting healthy fish idea is outta here...but what i can salvage is that a dozen of 3 inch discuss costs me around 60 USD...thats not much here but what i bilieve is i really need to develop a quarantine aquarium and what I need here is GUIDENCE from you guys as there is no second way i see but if i can rid the fish of diseases a pairs price shoots up to around 30 USD of that size now i am not going to go in such business but just to tell you that very few experienced fish keepers are around...

"QUARANTINE PROCEDURE is the topi i need you to suggest me on i have a hospital tank but you guys have to guide me on how to set it up."

sammigold
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:54 AM
heater, sponge filter, some water from your cycled tank and maybe a little tub of gravel with A plant for them to hide in.....otherwise keep it sparse and Barebottom, regular water changes....

If they are already displaying illness then you will need to medicate for that specific illness... Keep them in qt until they are cured and then I would keep them in there for a further few weeks just to make sure before putting them in with your healthy specimens. You may also want to think about worming them. HTH

samir
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:37 AM
IMO do not touch them, you will not be able to fix everything and the fish will keep getting sick whenever they are stressed. if you can get some healthy stock you can try breeding them, that way you'll get very strong fry which are used to the water conditions locally.