PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate fish injury

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:20 AM
this afternoon i went over to the tank to give them some food an for some reason the male got a really really big fright an just took off an hes smashed into the plastic divider ive put in the tank because hes to agressive for the female.

Hes scraped his forhead in 2 places, the injurys arent too bad but im still worried (im a worrying type of person).

im just worried that they will get infected so was wondering what i should put in the water to help keep the bacteria down.

now i know your all thinking salt, ive done this before with the pair an they didnt really like it, they moved to the back of the tank an clamped down for an hour or so.

so was wondering is there anything else i can put in the water?

jim from sydney
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:39 AM
Nathan.......listen Buddy how would you liked to be fenced-in????? especially if you are already stressed?????
take him out, put him in the comm. tank ( i mentioned it before) and let him enjoy some space with his pals for a while.....the scratches??? salt is best however it will heal by itself, salt would only protect from infection...dont use chemicals and above all......YOU need to relax Pal.....fish have their own way of living.....just take things easy and all will be OK........enjoy them......Good luck....Jim

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:15 AM
will do, thanx

Ben
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:19 AM
Have you tested for ammonia Nathan?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:19 AM
Agree with Ben, check your water params.
MAC

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:44 AM
yea i checked them before. They wearnt to great

ph: 6.2 (a bit low but they seemed quite happy, i have raised the ph to 6.3 an will continue to raise it until 6.5)
ammo: small trace ammounts
nitrates/nitrites: 0
gh/kh?

Ben
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:47 AM
ammo: small trace ammounts

That sounds like your problem Nathan. Ammonia can make discus very "skittish". Keep up the water changes and try and keep the Amonnia levels at O PPM.

Ben