PDA

View Full Version : pair is fighting

Nathan
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 04:31 AM
my pair have started to fight, actually just the male.

He looks keen to breed (cleaning spawing cone, shimmering, wavering at the female and breeding tube is quite noticable)

However the female is getting stressed out by the male beating up on her, so im guessn she really isnt in the 'mood' to spawn.

any ideas how to fix this?

goldenpigeon
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 04:42 AM
go to your local bunnings and purchase some plastic mesh to divide the tank in 1. give it a good scrub then hold it inplace with suction caps etc...

give her a while to settle down then let them back togeather...

jim from sydney
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 05:22 AM
Nathan.....are they together by themselves????? if so put them back in the comm. tank for a while. the male is obv. keen to get going but not yet so for mum......be patient Pal

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 05:28 AM
Males can damage females quite badly in their efforts to get them to breed.

She unfortunately can only breed when she is full of eggs. If she's not ready, then she's just not ready.

Separate them if you can, and feed the female up on as much live food as you can manage as well as high protein frozen food and dry food. If you can manage it, 5 meals a day would be ideal.

She should be ready within a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

Nathan
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 05:30 AM
ok ill get a divider like GP suggested, atm ive been feeding them a discus mix, frozen blood worms an BS, also this week live blackworms, should i get some live brine shrimp aswel?

Nathan
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:05 AM
alright wlel i went to bunnings, they didnt have it, so i went to my LFS an they had it, exactly what i was looking for.

Later on tonight ill be putting it in, an ill leave it in for 2 weeks, im goin away next week for a week so when i get back ill take it out an see what happens.

still wonerding would the live brine shrimp be good?
also should i be doing daily W/C?

thanx again for the help

Mulisha
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 09:44 AM
I belive the live Brine shrimp are fine but the live blood worms are bad as they have parsites etc that will live in freshwater but on the other hand the brine shrimp parsites can't live in freshwater so be carefull feeding live worms alot of people say not to.

Good Luck.

Nathan
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:07 AM
so be carefull feeding live worms alot of people say not to.

thx for that, yea i only get these worms from the one place, i know the breeder an seen how they breed them.

he breeds them in steel tubs an fed dry food so there is no risk of parasites. ive been using these for years never had a problem with em, but i wouldnt buy em anywhere else.

Well i put the divider in just before, the male really wants to be back with the female, an it also looks the same for the female.
Ill leave it in for a week an see how it goes but if it stresses them out to much i might take it out at the end of the week