PDA

View Full Version : Salt treatment and conductivity...anybody a chemist !

Bad Inferno
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 02:46 AM
I had noticed a couple of my discus had developed poor fins so I thought I'd increase the temp to 29-30 (as it was running low 27-28) and put some rock salt (2 tablespoons for 180 litres)

That was a week ago and my conductivity was sitting around 180-200 micro siemens when I salted it went to 480 us and I have at least done, during that time, a 50% water change and the conductivity has not come down.

I also noted last week we had a night of very poor water (brown) come through the system (noticed it in the kids bath !) which I had also put into the tank for a couple of 15% water changes.

I suppose I should pull my conductivity probe out of the filter line and test the water. I know the meter is reading correctly as it was calibrated only 2 weeks ago.

ANybody noticed high mineral content in the water, I live in endeavour hills vic.

cheers

rob

fishgeek
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 05:33 AM
salt will certainly increase conductivty as it dissociates into ions readily and that is what your conductivity meter is measuring

doesn't make sense that removing some with water change has not reduced it though

makes me think that water change water is simiar conductivty to the tank at present ie 480

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 01:02 PM
fishgeek

Just thought I'd update my findings....

It seemed I had to change about 50% of the water before the conductivity started to come down. My meter was well within its range at 500 us

I think somehow the tank was somehow buffering the conductivity, maybe undesolved salts ? A week later every water change my conductivity is now coming down in a linear fasion to the amount of water I change. I may stabilise again and give it another test...as my discus fins could do with another dose anyhow. May try a smaller amount of salt.

rob