PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp - Information

gelf
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 11:35 AM
Brine Shrimp (Artemia sp.) how to...

*** This article is ready for your review and comment ***

To view it click: http://www.gelf.com.au/images/file_pdf.gif (http://www.gelf.com.au/fish/production_articles/brine_shrimp.pdf) <- Comments, sugestions, additional information more than welcome.
For the full listing of 'how to' files click: http://www.gelf.com.au/images/file_html.gif (http://www.gelf.com.au/fish/production_articles_index.html) <- I have a heap of articles on all sorts of plants and animals, prepared and under development.

I hope this is useful.
Cheers.
Tony

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:31 AM
Great Article Gelf - maybe it should have a Sticky?

Marg.

Ben
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:38 AM
Looking good Tony.

I would be very interested to read some infomation on how to cultivate live bloodworms.

cheers
Ben

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
Good suggestion Ben.

Here in good ole downtown Wagga Wagga we are paying $5.50 for a frozen pack of them - gets expensive when you have a few fish to feed - i would love to know how to grow them :D .,

Marg.

Phlipper
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:46 AM
Beware..............live Bloodworms are a known carrier of disease :!:

Ben
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 04:22 AM
Beware..............live Bloodworms are a known carrier of disease

Not if they are produced in a clean environment and treated.

I grow mosquito larvae every summer, and there are always a few
Midgy larvae in the tanks with the mosquito larvae.

I treat using salt @ 40ppm.
This works well and was recommended by Andrew Soh.

I would like to produce these blood worms on a much larger scale.

Ben

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 05:12 AM
Hey Ben you might be able to breed them and sell them along with your Beefheart Mix - give up your day job :D !!

marg.

Mulisha
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 06:35 AM
Hey Ben you might be able to breed them and sell them along with your Beefheart Mix - give up your day job :D !!

marg.

Sounds good i'm up for say 1kg of live worms :shock:

I really like to know how to produce my own live worms becuase it would so much cost effective..!!

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:03 AM
Mulisha,

If Ben could manage it, I'd be up for a kilo also!!

I get sooooo cheesed off when I see the prices that you can pay for them Bulk if you are in Sydney or Melb., but here in country NSW it is pay, pay, pay!!!

The best thing I found was this site and all the helpful people on it, - then AOA and APW.

It's real funny when you go into your LFS and see the prices they charge for a small container of Tetra Bits (when you know how cheaply Ben from AOA sells them) - and none of them sell Prime or Flourish Excell (thank heavens for APW).

Just need a cheap source for Bloodworms now (c'mon Ben, you can do it !!!).

marg.

Mulisha
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:13 AM
Mulisha,

If Ben could manage it, I'd be up for a kilo also!!

I get sooooo cheesed off when I see the prices that you can pay for them Bulk if you are in Sydney or Melb., but here in country NSW it is pay, pay, pay!!!

The best thing I found was this site and all the helpful people on it, - then AOA and APW.

It's real funny when you go into your LFS and see the prices they charge for a small container of Tetra Bits (when you know how cheaply Ben from AOA sells them) - and none of them sell Prime or Flourish Excell (thank heavens for APW).

Just need a cheap source for Bloodworms now (c'mon Ben, you can do it !!!).

marg.

Am in that transpearent can you really read my mind like the Marg :shock: :shock: i know what you mean in some cases like the Prime on APW i can buy two 500ml bottles for the same price for just at my lfs :shock:

I have never fed my discus live worms i bet they would love them but there had live brine sharimp but mainly frozen and dry foods.

I wouldn't mind trying to set up my own bloodworm farm and feed my fish up nice and fat sell live worms to lfs hehe :D

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yeah Rick,

It would be a real slap in the face for them, wouldn't it?

i know they have to make money, but sheesh, their prices are astronimical!!

marg.

Mulisha
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:20 AM
I think what they over charge on Prime will pay for there rent and elec bill for the month with one bottle :lol: :lol:

I feel sorry when i go in there and see 13 year old kid and the guy is trying to sell him things that he would never use and costing his parents a fortune lol but i went through that stage as well i got sucked in too didn't we all...

:oops:

Phlipper
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 12:23 AM
Let's not be too harsh on the fish shop owners, I know a lot of them in Adelaide and there is a big mark up on goods I agree, but most propietors I know are struggling to make a buck, many go broke within a couple of years or less.................and if you were putting in 60 plus hours every week you'd be wanting to make good money as well :idea:

marg
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 01:19 AM
Phil,

I'm not talking about all LFS, just my local here - and their prices are really astronimical, no joking!.

A few months back I ran out of Tetra Bits - I ordered some off Ben at AOA like I usually do, then decided to go to LFS to get a small container of them to tide me over - but refused to buy them because of the price. Luckily I had put a friend onto Bens' Tetra Bits and had ordered him some, so I was able to borrow some to tide me over while I waited for my order to arrive.

I am a regular at this shop (mainly for Bloodworms, as it is the only way I can buy them here) but there is no discount for bulk lots either. One would think that seeing as someone regularly purchases Products from them they would apply some form of Discount to their regulars but they know they have you over a barrel in regards to frozen Bloodworms/Brine Shrimp.

The shop sells all kinds of Pets not just Fish, but you need to win Lotto to afford their Pets and Fish (and I know the prices that they pay for them off the Breeders). IMO a fair markup would give them a good turnover and would keep people coming back instead of going online and buying their requirements (like I now do thanks to Discus Forums and their great sponsors!!).

This shop has been open for years and is definately not struggling.

There is a new Fish Shop recently opened within a Stock Feed store here recently and the Owner is a pretty realistic person (I had a talk to her and told her about MAC's new Fish Food and she is eagerly awaiting the supply of some from his NSW distributor)- I'm hoping her prices will be more reasonable. I'm going to be upfront anyway and ask her if any form of discount will apply to regulars. If it does then I will be one of her regulars.

marg.