PDA

View Full Version : LFS's and what looked like a sick discus

Jadels
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 10:46 PM
Yesterday i wondered into a lfs to have a look at there fish and surprisingly they had maybe 10 discus anyway i was looking at them all - very small and lacking colour but well over priced (1.5inch pigeon blood with pepering wait for it $150 - no i'm not lying i was :shock: ) anyways I noticed one discus that wasnt very upright, kinda laying on its side maybe a 45 degree angle and it was the thinest looking discus ever it was all sucked in and didnt have a smooth kinda roundish body it was in and out, it looked like an RSPCA case. I asked about some plants and commented i think you have a sick fish they went and looked at it and went it will be right and walked away.. What do you think this would be from? lack of food? There was another discus in the tank with it that was smaller but appeared healthy and was quite active where as this one just sat in the same spot!!

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 04:21 AM
Could be lots of reasons Jadels. Anything from worms to pH shock to a severe internal disease.

It's very tempting to try to 'rescue' unhappy little discus, but honestly, it usually ends in heartbreak.

As much as we'd like to, we can't save them all, and while a lot of aquarium shops give their fish excellent care, there are going to be losses.

Jadels
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 04:30 AM
Yeh i wanted to take it home, but i only have the one tank and i dont want mine getting sick too..

DiscusMad
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:57 PM
i try to get very cheap prices for black looking discus all the time so I can try to save some LOL they never go for it though :lol:

Jadels
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 05:00 AM
i think they are living in denial with "she'll be right mate" attitudes

chrissyoscar
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:24 PM
It probably explains why they charge so much for the discus. It doesn't matter to them if they lose a couple as they are so over priced they still make a good profit on the discus they do sell.