PDA

View Full Version : How do you feed non-dominant Guys?

dntx5b9
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
I now have 6 discus in my 90G tank. I have 2 that are quite a bit bigger than the rest. I have four 2.5~3" and two that are about 4~4.5". During feeding time, they all come to eat, but as soon as the food hits the bottom, it's mainly the two big guys eating. Smallers ones don't graze the bottom and when they try, get chased away by the bigger guys. At this rate, I am afraid that the smaller guys will not eat enough and won't grow. Any tricks to feed everybody equally?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 08:13 PM
I grow my fish out in 4ft tanks so they have two lids, one either end. The more dominant fish come and greet me for food at one end of the tank and whilst they're feeding I try and release food over the top of the less dominant fish at the other end.
MAC

pbates
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
If you have a planted tank, I find it helpful to dump the blood worms, shrimp beef heart etc into a large plant. I find swords work well.

The dominant fish seem to eat from the top of the plant, and the little guys can get the bits that fall through. The big fish can't see the small ones and don't chase them much.

Also a fair amount of food gets stuck in the leaves, and often the big discus are too large to get it, so the smaller ones can graze later.

nicholas76
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 08:54 AM
I feed a selection of foods at the one time at both ends of the tank.

I find that all the diffrent sorts of food , sink , move about at diffrent rates giving the shy guys a chance !

dntx5b9
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 12:47 AM
By the way, do discus eat when the lights are out?