PDA

View Full Version : shimmy dance and sliding around sideways near bottom

RichVic
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 03:22 AM
Hello all, haven't had a lot of time to observe the babies for a while but noticed a bit of odd behaviour in one this morning - It was cruising around kinda 'dipping' and then doing a shimmy thing - like a tremour was running through it? Param's are good. Parents and other babies not doing anything different. He's one of the smallest in this batch which hatched 7 weeks ago.
he's got a bit of a swollen belly, should I levamisole them all or try some Espsom salts or wait it out a bit longer- Just stressing because I've lost the ten smallest in this batch and thought I was past the critical stage now?
Anyone else seen anything like this?
Thanks in advance for all help/comments

fishgeek
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 07:12 AM
sounds kind of neuro
low level toxin exposure can stunt growht and lead to strange swimming behaviours

small and young fih would certainly be more susceptible to toxins

i guess that in young dog's with high levels of worm's you can also see inflammation in the spinal area and get neuro signs
or equall lots of parasitism may be causing weakness rather than incordination

a faecal sample would be the easiest way to tell on the worm side
other with some practical experience maybe able to give you more useful advice

andrew

RichVic
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks fishgeek - Its my first ever aquarium and I started late january this year, an of course this is my first batch of baby fish - so I have next to no intuition about them at all - from what you said ... sounds kinda neuro .....
I can only conclude that my first aid would involve water changes? Thats been my treatment for most scares both real & imagined.
Can't manage a faecal sample - too many others in there and we live in a rural area, so lack the fish vets you may find in big cities like Melbourne.
He's not doing it anymore, but with a human family and full time job, I can only relax with the fish after dinner.
Will observe closely for longer time tonight. Have done an extra big water change 50% - can't hurt.
Cheers Andrew

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 05:48 AM
How is he looking today Vic. Sometimes a digestive upset can cause them to do that.

You're right with doing a big water change.

It certainly helps a lot of problems.

RichVic
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 06:58 AM
Warm welcome back Merrilyn, we missed you.
Well, better - Er? I think
Saw him do the routine a couple of times last night after feeds, but not for long, maybe three minutes at a time. Others all normal, haven't seen it today and I've been home all afternoon. Should I dose the baby tank with 1ml per 7Lt ?Levamisol? will that hurt them if they don't need it ?
Vicki

RichVic
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:55 AM
Water change seems to have done the trick - no sign of that behaviour observed last couple of days. Phew! While closely observing I noticed another behavour - very cute one at that - the mum is showing them how to do the lie flat thing ( she does that to avoid capture etc, I think.) So I go in to do the siphoning and instead of the babies gathering round expecting a feed
the 4 bigger ones are laying flat on the bottom and sneaking away.
I'm amazed that they still pass on those instincts! and yes the parents have not been evicted yet - How could I when one may have been sick and clearly they still have a lot to learn from mum LOL
Vicki