PDA

View Full Version : Closantel/Mebendazole for flukes ???

samir
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 06:02 AM
anybody tried a combination of the two for eradicting flukes. The product is sold overseas under the brand name supaverm, i think its a goat wormer, koi users entensively use the product. it requires minute dosages and in two doses 12 weeks apart completely eradicates flukes from koi ponds. The flip side, it is extremely toxic to various fish, people who repackage and sell it as fluke medication warn that it must be used only on koi.

"THIS PRODUCT WILL KILL 100% OF TREATED GOLDFISH DEAD! IT IS NOT FOR GOLDFISH. IT IS INTENDED ONLY FOR KOI.
There are other species of fish which are sensitive to SuperFlukeİ as well. Use in any other species of fish than ornamental Koi is sheer lunacy"

However I have read a veterinary journal where they have sucessfuly tested it on goldfish. The journal says that they have heard of "anecdotal" cases where discus and goldfish were killed, and believe that was because of incorrect dosages by non qualifed people. The fish they dosed cleared most flukes between day 4-6. The medication inhibits flukes that are left behind from reproducing for up to 12 weeks. At this point they redosed(around October) and did not find a single fluke in the pond till next spring(around March), which they say came from external sources like birds etc.

If anyone has heard of it or tried it please let me know. I feel if used with extreme caution it could be the wonder fluke drug we're all looking for.

Also anyone know a safe overdose limit for Prazi ??? I've tried Sterazin and the flukes are resistant to it, Prazi works better but only just...

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
IME Sterazin is about as useful as a knob full of goat s*ite! Prazi in its purest form I have found to be good (pure powder form) but even then the presciribed amount of .5 of a mg per litre of water sometimes doesn't cut it. The scientist I spoke to that makes the stuff said you can go to .8 mg per litre which I have tried but beware, they don't like it.
MAC

fishgeek
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 07:35 AM
mebendazol and praziquantel are both recognised treatment options for monogean flukes, whilst praziquantel is the accepted treatment for digean flukes

mebendazol dosage 1mg/litre for 24 hr bath
praziquantel 2-10mgs/litre for upto 4hr bath, repeated 3 times every 5 days , increase aeration whist doing this

ref~ bsava manual of ornamental fish,william wildgoose

supaverm is mentioned at usage oof 1ml per 400litres of water (supaverm contains 75mgs/ml of mebendazol and 50mgs/ml of closantel - obviously much lower dose of mebendazol) also has nebulous warning of " maybe harmful to some species"

hth andrew