PDA

View Full Version : New Additions

dntx5b9
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
Hi, Just upgraded my 55G to a 90G. It's amazing how much difference that makes. The dimensions of the new tank are: 48"X18"X24". That added depth and height makes a world of difference. Wanted to get a 5'. tank, but had to settle with a 4' tank.

Just added three more discus two days ago to the existing three (had 4, but one just died due to some sort of infection). Got an Alenquer, a Red Snakeskin, and a Red Pegion Blood. Everybody is doing real well on the contrary to the last two I added (one made it but one didn't).

I know there is 10G per discus rule, so I can potentially house three more discus? Also, what other SA cichlids can I add? I am thinking of getting some German Rams and/or may be some Geos. I currently have 40+ cardinals, rummy nose, and serpaes along with few bottom dewellers: 4 cories, 4 clown loaches, and 1 clown pleco. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FishLover
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm no expert. 10g per discus is the rule used by most people. You have to add up your total fish load, including the other fish. Especially the clown loaches as they can produce big waste. So is the clown pleco. It can grow big and create lot of waste too. IMO, you are kind of over the max load if you factor in for their growth. Unless you are doing daily W/C, I would not want add any more in there without taking out the loaches and pleco. Some people say they are not good with discus anyway. You maybe OK to have more if your fish are still small. The problem is, they do grow big and you will have to upgrade again or remove some fish at some point.

When it comes to fish tank, always go for the biggest one you can afford so you will not have to upgrade again for a long time. I did from a 55g to a 125 g and I'm very happy that I did so. You can have less W/C sometimes with a bigger tank. It makes my vacation days less impact on the fish. I do a 40% WC each week and an 70% once a moth. Mine are about 3.5" to 4" big and they look very happy, especially after WC. I hace 11 of them since last Oct.

dntx5b9
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 02:57 PM
I thought 10G for discus is not the guideline for bio-load but guideline for space. I could be wrong. Anyhow, my clown pleco is barely 2", and I don't think he gets over 5". My clown loaches are all less than 4". I thought clown loaches didn't produce that much bio-load. For the amount of fish I have, I am planning on 2 WC's a week. 20% and 35%. Any thoughts?