PDA

View Full Version : The latest addition

Taz Devil
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi all

Here are the latest additions to my tank. I am hoping that the blue diamond will get a bit more colour to it once it settles in a bit more.

I am waiting for the shop to get some more plant in as at the moment I think it is a little bit bare.

Hope you enjoy the pics and I have definitely got the Discus bug.

My other half has already said that she would like to get a Malboro Red or Golden.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I am enjoying watching them in the tank.

Adam :D

mcloughlin2
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
Wonderful looking fish...

Give the blue diamond time to settle...he should colour up very nicely.... :)

A word of advice - when buying your pigeon blood discus get the ones with the least peppering (Tiny black dots on the discus) you can get as once you have a more trained eye peppering will most likely be a flaw in the discus...

HTH :)

aquafrogstuff
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:04 AM
Awesome!

Have you rearranged the tank or bought the plants new??

Taz Devil
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks

It is very hard up here to buy discus as there is a very limited range. Only four shops that stock them. Most of them do have the peppering that you speak of Mcloughlin2. The two that I have were the only two without the peppering that I could find. There is another shop which has a brown and a green discus however I am not sure if it is me or the lighting in the tank but they don't look the best.

As for the plants aquafrogstuff the plants are about two weeks old. I had been looking for a CO2 kit for about the past week and the prices seem quite high. Between $100 and $150 for a very basic kit, so I ended up doing a DIY CO2 kit. It seems to working very well as the plants have grown extremely well.

Cheers

Adam

aquafrogstuff
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:30 AM
Mind if I ask where you got the plants from? Most of the aquariums I've been to have tiny plants, but the ones you have seem well established.

Taz Devil
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Aquafrogstuff,

All of the plants in the tank came from the LFS. Luckily here in Darwin there is a local grower and he seems to supply most of the LFS and they are all reasonably priced.

Cheers

fish_r
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 05:26 PM
nice looking fish, just be wary of the white spotted green plant cause it isnt a true aquatic "aluminium plant" and will die off in time and foul ur water if ur not carefull...

barramundi
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:18 PM
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum mate nice to see you on here and now settled in up there in darwin,nice discus mate and yeh give them time to settle in and they will look much better after some time.

john

the_oracle
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 02:40 AM
Looking great.............
Love your set-up and not to mention, your fishes too.

Sanie.

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 03:05 AM
Welcome to the forum Adam,
Your discus are beautiful and look very healthy.
Great to see a member from Darwin (one of my favorite places to visit).
Can you tell me what your water is like up there, e.g. ph and gh from the tap.
Thanks
Heidi

Taz Devil
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 08:49 AM
Fish_r.......Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on it...I have never seen the plant before and it did look nice, however in future I will be careful with the plant choice.

Barramundi - John....good to see you found me and thanks...it seems that I started you on tropical fish a couple of years ago and now you have got me in to discus.....what goes around comes around. In regards to the DIY Co2 kit I went for a 1.25 litre bottle, but only made the mixture as if it was a 1 litre bottle. I have four rams and the smallest seems to like attacking it. Not sure why and it doesn't seem to have any ill effect as yet.

the_oracle.....Thanks

Heidi....I have only justed move here from Townsville...Barramundi got me into discus as he only used to live a couple of doors around. The PH was 7.4 and the KH was 3 dKH and the GH was 2 dGH.

Cheers

fish_r
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 11:10 AM
no probs Taz, i got caught out too when i first started with that one and also purple waffle, they do look nice but will die off eventually :(
this is a great site if u dont already know it
http://www.plantgeek.net/
m8 if ur into fishing in Darwin let me know and i'll put u onto some great spots :) i lived there for a few yrs my self and used to work in a marine shop there so i know some beaut spots :)

Taz Devil
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 02:29 AM
fish_r

I had a look at the site and m8 that is fantastic. No more going to the LFS and not knowing what plants are there.

In regards to the fishing if you could let me know some of the places it would be appreciated as I wanted to get back into the fishing. I don't have a boat (as yet) but am willing to drive if needed. :D

Cheers

Adam

fish_r
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
glad the site is of help to u :)
as for the fishing i will pm u when i get time and let u know a cpl of spots i used to regulaly fish and do well :)
for a start though stokes hill wharf is a pretty good wharf to fish off "especially in the colder mths" for lge tuna, mackeral etc... wind as fast as u can "prefereably with a big egg beater reel" with a metal slice lure on, and if u do hook up hang on :) if u go down at night near Christo's "fish shop on the wharf" u can also see some huge barra's along side the wharf, but they can be very hard to tempt :(
any way i'll pm u with some better spots later
regards
Rob...