PDA

View Full Version : FS: Algae Eating Glass Shrimp

livefish.com.au
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
These small shrimp, generally only reaching a maximum size of 2.5cm, are harmless omnivorous scavengers, suitable for any freshwater tank.

They are particularly useful in home aquariums because they love to feed on algae, and keep your tank clean. If there is no algae, the shrimp will eat the leftovers of anything that you feed to your other fish. They are hardy little animals, and can generally take care of themselves.

Shrimp can sometimes be bothered by larger fish, but if they have plenty of cover in your aquarium (wisteria and banana lily plants are good), you should avoid most problems. Discus will often be keen to have a nibble at these tasty morsels, but if your tank is well planted discus and glass shrimp can co-exist.

Shrimp are very unlikely to cause any harm to even your smallest fish or eggs, and are not really interested in anything moving.

How many should you put in your tank? It is unwise to put any more than 60-100 into a 4 foot tank. They are quite small but with a large number of them they will add to the bio mass in the tank, and if the tank is already loaded with fish it could be too much for your filter system.

Supplied shrimp are around 1-2cm long.

See them here:
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=48

http://www.livefish.com.au/images/glass_shrimp.gif

1-5 $1.05
6-11 $0.99
12-23 $0.89
24-99 $0.79
100+ $0.49

Davo
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:41 PM
Will clown loaches eat them and how many will I need in my 4x2x2 planted discus tank?

Thanks,
Dave.

livefish.com.au
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi Dave,
We never recommend more than 60-100 in a four foot tank, they are quite small creatures, but in large numbers the biomass can add up and upset the balance of your tank.

Of course if you have lots of fish, this will also affect the numbers. I would try around 30 in your tank, then you can see how they interact with your existing fish. If that is successful, then you can always add more later!

Th0mas
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Will clown loaches eat them and how many will I need in my 4x2x2 planted discus tank?

Thanks,
Dave.

Pretty certain you'll have some very happy and fat clown loaches soon. :P

Proteus
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 12:08 AM
Hey, there aint nothing wrong with a bit of live fast food for your fishy friends... lol

Hard to tell from the photo, but do these guys have nippers/pincers?

catfish man
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 05:49 AM
Hi if I was to get some are they easy to breed

Cheers

livefish.com.au
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 08:23 AM
Yes, they have tiny claws that they use to eat with.

Glass shrimp will readily breed in the aquarium if kept in large enough groups. The female carries the eggs, which appear as small green dots under the tail.

If interested in raising the shrimp, remove the female to a different aquarium until the shrimp hatch. At that point, return the female back to the main aquarium and feed the baby shrimp newly hatched brine shrimp or a suitable liquid food.

wickedglass
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:56 AM
what is the max temp these beauties can tolerate? and what kind of water conditions do they prefer?

livefish.com.au
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 12:26 PM
They do best in around 20-30 degrees celsius. It is also a good idea not to have your tank water too acidic, otherwise it can affect their outer shell and they may have trouble moulting. Neutral to PH 8.0 would be best.

Th0mas
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
Chris,

I can assure you they won't last in an apisto tank as I've had some in the past and the apisto are small enough to find/catch them from their hiding places.

Also as noted - the low pH don't do them any good either.

Thomas.