PDA

View Full Version : I got my first

Jadels
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 07:12 AM
Hey guys, i got my first discus today :D It is gorgeous and i love it. Its settling in quite nicely swimming about and even started pecking the ground for food after about 2hrs. its still quite dark tho.

stonedavid
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
Congratulations Jadels, nice looking fish, great colouration.
Pete

Jadels
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:01 AM
Its funny that you say that, cos in the shop it was not very blue at all, it was more red and white

DR.V
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:49 AM
Wait for about 2 weeks for him to get used to with the new environment.

Then it should start showing its true colors.

Proper lighting and quality food also enhance good colors.

Good luck.

jim from sydney
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, i got my first discus today :D It is gorgeous and i love it. Its settling in quite nicely swimming about and even started pecking the ground for food after about 2hrs. its still quite dark tho.

Hi Jadels...congrats on your first....i know how you feel.....i remember how i felt with my first one.......discus will change in contrasts as often as you can have dinners.....its their way of protecting themselves and adapting to the environments. you may well see changes at any time, especially in lightness and darkness, its normal.
good luck...btw nice fish.

nicholas76
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 12:20 PM
Jadels,

update time if you dont mind! :D

id love to see how its looking now,, I think we all would.

Mulisha
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah a pic would be good becuase he looked awersome in the photo above so now he should look even better :o

Rick.

Jadels
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hey guys here is a new pic... However it was taken about 2 days after the previous picture. He is lighter again now but hiding behind a plant i'll feed him and take another photo today.

Jadels
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:16 PM
Ok so i fed him and eventually got him to come out and play...

but not before a game of hide and seek..

So i guess he is starting to show his true colours now - so what do you think of him?

Jadels
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Ok i no you only asked for 1 recent pic... but i found a new setting on my camera for taking under water photo's!! They are the most realistic, i wasnt happy with the previous ones i posted.. so here you go

Mulisha
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
OMG Stunning he looks awersome very nice pattern and he sure is showing his colours 8-)

How big is the tank and what lighting you using and how many w/c a week etc?

Thanks for the pic he looks great!

Rick.

Jadels
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:28 AM
Is is only a 2ft tank and i have an aqua one light with 2 fluro's at 20W
I do 2 water changes taking out about 30% of the water. pH is at 6.3 and stays really steady and I have an under gravel filter as well as an 800l/hr hang on filter water temp is at 30C. I also run an air pump in just to add some bubbles cos they look cool... i never have oxygen problems which is good.

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 03:32 AM
He's wonderful Jadels. You're doing a great job with him.

jim from sydney
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 11:02 AM
Looking good Pal......keep talking to him....LOL

Jadels
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 04:20 AM
Hey guys.

I have a couple of questions for you.

My discus has changed colour again its more like the colour in photo231a but the blue is even more intense. Now is this because of food?
He gets tropical flake
spirulina flake
bloodworms
3-5 feeds a day i think i'm a bit generous but he eats. He is also becoming an aggressive feeder which is nice to say because his food used to go straight passed him and it was like he didnt know what to do with it :oops: But that has definately changed. Is this all normal behaviour? I will try and post a pic tonight.. camera is in the car i think!!

Thanks guys