PDA

View Full Version : OOPS????

Druz
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 01:04 AM
Hi All,

About 3 weeks ago i decided to seperate a blue diamond pair (removing the female) so they would stop fighting, leaving the male in the tank by himself.

A day after, i decided to grab a white swan discus thinking it was a male and placed him in the tank with the male diamond. After a few hours being together in the tank, the white swan started to lay eggs and the diamond started to fertilise the eggs. :shock:

Anyways, i now have about 50 free swimming fry. What will these fry look like?

Cheers,

Druz

jim from sydney
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 05:03 AM
Druz............call yourself "lucky Druz" so soon to spawn is great.....sale price is not your first option here......first you need to get them to a good age and healthy condition (6 months or so) before you even think of selling, than many factors will determine prices at that time, so dont be an eager beaver, wait and enjoy them first......at 6 months look and analyse again.....then many members would be interested i am sure.......good luck

mcloughlin2
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 09:34 AM
Jim has it spot on ... :P

Im guessing peppering would be a problem here....as your crossing a PB with a BD ... so this will need to be taken into acount...

Quality of the parent fish also determines how much can be charged for the fry...

Depending on what the end result looks like you could expect anywhere from $10-$30...less if you sell to a LFS...

But common mistake is - counting your dollars BEFORE you have the finished product.... :)

Bear in mind that this spawn will probably be lost or very few will survive (Nothing personal here its just due to the fact the pair still wont be sure of what to do and im guessing this is your first batch of discus?)

Also post pictures of the babies and parents if possible !

HTH

Ben
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 11:43 AM
well done on getting a spawn plus the 50 odd wrigglers!

keep us posted as they grow.

cheers