PDA

View Full Version : Fs: Fit for a King (of the Aquarium that is)

wickedglass
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:59 AM
Hiyas,
I made something today and I thought I'd offer it up for sale here before it goes to the gallery. Because selling it here won't incur any overheads, like a gallery has, I can offer it up for almost half the price the gallery will end up selling it for.
Here's what I made,
It's a large goblet, which is 1' 1'' (13 inches) or 33 cm tall. The bowl is about 4 inches in diameter and made in two parts (the technique is called "incalmo" by the italians). Half the bowl is clear, and the other half is executed in cobalt blue, slightly twisted and bubbled to simulate flowing water. The bowl is connected to the stem by an "avolio" (you guessed it, also italian) decorated with a symmetric ring pattern. The stem itself is comprised of a clear glass discus, measuring 4'' from head to tail tip and incised while hot with a wavy pattern and when cold this pattern I enhanced by engraving it with a diamond coated tip. Below the discus is a "knop" (this time the word is english ... go figure ... I'm sure the italians have a word for "knop" (and I'm sure it's not "Chris", thank you very much)). The "knop" is also decorated in the same ring pattern as the "avolio". below this is a clear marble with a spiral on the inside to suggest spiralling water and underneath is another knop, this time in clear glass. The whole thing is finished with a "spun foot", which basically means I heat the bejeezas out of the glass and spin it until it flares out enough to form a foot. Both the rim of the bowl and the foot are finished in cobalt blue glass, (which is the only colour I used for this goblet).
The price of such a thing in the gallery I sell my stuff through will be Au$580 but seeing I don't have their costs in running a gallery I can offer it here for only Au$300 (incl GST) + postage.
If anyone is interested in purchasing this before it hits the big time, please PM me. I will keep this offer open here for a week before I take the goblet down to the gallery to be sold.
I took photos with a black and a white background to give you a better idea of what it looks like.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking,

wickedglass
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
And a couple more

fronny
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
Now thats cool wish i had 300 bucks. How to you make them?

wickedglass
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:16 PM
thanks fronny,
The technique is called "lampworking" or "flameworking". My background is scientific glasswork, but I've since moved on to mostly artwork and I completed my Masters of Fine Art at RMIT some years ago. I have a variable flame burner in front of me with an oxygen/LPG mixture running through it and work the glass in the heat of that. The burner is actually called a "lamp" because the ancient egyptians and romans used an oil lamp to work their glass. The working temperature of the glass I use (laboratory grade glass) is up to about 1700 degrees Celsius (ancient glass would be about 800 or so degrees to work). The glass comes clear and I buy colour sticks seperately and work those through the glass. And no, before anyone asks, I've never worked in a shopping centre, although a friend of mine from Sydney comes down every year and we do a weekend of public glassblowing demos in September at Federation Square outside the gallery which sells our work.

The images in my signature are a link to more of my girl's and my own work.