PDA

View Full Version : Breaking up the gays

aquaholic
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
Hi all
I have pair of discus who have been laying eggs each week for a while now in my community tank,only problem is there both females .I am pretty sure i have at least one other male in the tank(i've seen his willy)so is it possible to put him with one of the females in a tank and they will hook up or it does'nt quiet work like that.

cheers andrew :?

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:59 AM
Are your fish fairly young? This often happens with young fish. The females seem to mature faster than the males.

By all means try putting your known female and the male together, and see if you get any results, but you may need to give them a few months.

aquaholic
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
thanks for that merriln.
I think there about 12 to 14 months old(12cm).do you think they will eventually break up them selves. i think the male is keen as he does the hippy shake a fair bit as well.

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:47 AM
The girls will probably take more notice of him as he matures. At the moment, they have eggs that they just have to get rid of somehow, so that's why the two girls are laying together. In a few more months, it could well be a very different story.:P

aquaholic
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
k thanks again
I think i might wait and see how it pans out.
I have one pair busy faning eggs now:) that'l keep me busy enough.

cheers andrew
ps your 30 years experience is invalueble on these sort of issues regardless of what other brlliant people might theorise on :)