PDA

View Full Version : Death in Discus Tank Pls Help

JQW
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

During the evening feeding time I noticed my bristlenose in my 4ft Discus tank is dead.
He's been in the tank for 2 weeks now.

Temp: 32 degrees C
pH: 6.6
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: not known

4ft 55Gal, 7 small (5-6cm) discus + 1 small bn (current dead)

It looks to me like external wound, would discus have killed him?
I'm more worried about my discus now.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/jamesqwang/bn02.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/jamesqwang/bn01.jpg

zipztar
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
Well, in my experience sometimes the bristlenose can just die just like that and another fish comes along to peck at its eyes and body so that might be what happened... bristlenose arent that hard to kill really, ive had my kribensis kill them before... but i think that discus are calmer and dont go for the smaller bottom feeders.. they dont really have a need to!

It might be the temperature, im not sure, ive had mine in there for around 3 months and they havent died yet! have you got enough hiding spaces for them?! or did you add ne medicine etc etc

taksan
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
32c is a touch too warm I think ..... :roll:

samir
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 03:13 PM
looks like an ulcer caused by a bacterial infection, probably flexibacter. i think the high temperature must have sped up the infection. probably caused by poor water conditions.

SandyLynne
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:31 PM
I have 4 Bristlenose and have noticed that when I have the tank over 30 degrees they tend to lie on their backs and seem to be gasping for air. I have my tank between 28-30 degrees and find the Bristlenose are much happier at this temperature. They also hate it when I add Flourish Excel, they do the same thing.

JQW
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
High Temp plus Excell.
That might be it.
My temp is 32 degrees celcius and I dose Excell every other day.
Water change frequency will be increased.

Cheers Guys,

P.S All the discus look nice and healthy.

taksan
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:37 AM
You should never use Excel above about 29c. I would drop your temp immediatly to 28c.

marg
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:16 AM
Taksan,

That is interesting. Why is it not good to use it over 29 degrees?

I use it in my Community Tank (which is at 28 degrees) but am curious.

Marg.