PDA

View Full Version : hi, and want Discus?

zeb_nz
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:07 AM
hi

I am wanting a planted discus tank and i have a few Q.

<-> what is the rarest breed of discus
<-> how many could i keep in a 75 gallon?
<-> what fish shoudnt i keep with discus?
<-> Can i keep terquoise and Blood pigions together? and can they breed?

Thanks

fish_r
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
i'm no expert on discus "far from it"
i have a 75g pretty heavilly planted
i have 8 discus in there, probably all i'll go. "maybe two more" but that would be the max i will go
i have rummy nose tetra's, harlequin rasbora, clown loaches,SAE's. bristle nose and neon tetras, but have since read neons arnt the best choice, cardinals are better. i have 2 x turq and 2 x pigeons and no real dramas.
not sure on the rarest breed ?
think ud'e be better asking what u can put with discus rather than what u cant. "check out the tank mates section too...

goldenpigeon
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 11:55 AM
rarest discus, something along the lines of an albino, you owuldnt come across the rarest strain in Australia or NZ thoagh. were you looking to buy it or just wanted to know what is rare at the moment?

G-1000
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:46 AM
In terms of mainstream strains, a red gold diamond (RGD) or a golden leopard spotted snakeskin (GLSS) are the rarest to obtain atm. Obviously albino variants of these will be rarer, but they dont look the best atm.

G

zeb_nz
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 07:40 AM
can i keep clown and BN with them?

fish_r
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 03:32 PM
yes, i have both and no problems at all, just bear in mind loaches can get pretty big, from what iv'e read u should put the loaches in at least groups of 3

samir
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
the rarer the breed the more the inbreeding. i wouldn't recommend keeping something like an albino to start off with. get the hang of it with some nice solid turks and then try your hand at the more expensive ones...

In terms of mainstream strains, a red gold diamond (RGD) or a golden leopard spotted snakeskin (GLSS) are the rarest to obtain atm. Obviously albino variants of these will be rarer, but they dont look the best atm.

G
G is this what you had in mind when you mentioned the GLSS ? i've been trying to get some good ones from Singapore with no sucess. had to settle for a pair of marlboro. Hopefully should have some in the coming months if things work out.

G-1000
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 04:01 AM
Samir

The one in the middle is a nice specimen - it has uniform and complete spotting up and over the face & gills. The one on the right in that picture has incomplete spotting and is undesirable.

The nicest ones I have seen come from lucky tropical farm and I suspect thats where your picture has come from.

G

DR.V
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 04:50 AM
My discus tank

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8629/img0133mm6.jpg

samir
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 05:34 AM
The nicest ones I have seen come from lucky tropical farm and I suspect thats where your picture has come from.

G
yup thats where the pic is from

nicholas76
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 05:58 AM
Stunning fish!

mind boggles at what they would retail for.

samir
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 06:50 AM
you never know when there could be a few hundred fry on a friendly forum near you. :wink:

G-1000
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
Nick,

4 inches at that quality is around 350-450 depending on spotting.

Expect to pay around 800 for a full size adult with full spotting.

G

nicholas76
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 07:19 AM
Yep!!

totally I agree :)

Dee
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Guys,

IMO the fish on the left is a 9 bar Golden Leopard and the fish on the right would be a 14 bar Golden Leopard SS. As for the fish on the right being "less desirable", I think you would find with time that the face spotting may come through. SS's take longer to fully colour up, and judging by the 9 bar version, the 14 bar will devolop some face spotting in time. Both fish would be highly desirable IMO.

Cheers,

Dee :)

samir
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 07:44 AM
how about these guys ???

DR.V
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:16 AM
*DROOOLLLL*

samir
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
G would this be a GLSS as well ?? and what do you think of the albino ?

nicholas76
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:04 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

out of my price range

samir
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:07 AM
maybe we need to clone Crocky a couple of dozen times and give each clone a few breeding pairs. That should get the prices down...

Dee
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Guys,

This link shows some of Roy Khoo's (SG discus breeder) line of GLSS and GL's, notice the VERY fine spotting and the great shape on these fish ... definatly major drool factor IMO.

http://www.aquarealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23642

I like that Alb SS you posted Samir, great striations with a little bit of spotting .... nice :wink:

Cheers,

Dee :)