PDA

View Full Version : White Material Clinging to Gill

Bronx19
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 05:19 AM
Hey guys, I noticed today that one of my turqs has a white piece of material dangling from the edge of its right gill. I have done some searching but didnt come up with anything that was described like this.

It and three other fish are behaving normally and there has been no change in their insatiable appetite. No other signs of damage.

I dont have a camera with which to provide pictures, so I know its difficult to diagnose, but any opinions would be helpful.

Water is 28C and 50% replaced daily.

Bronx19
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:42 AM
An update:

Late last night I noticed one other discus wriggle around like it was trying to escape something, also, the discus with the white material on its gill had the other gill closed and was breathing rapidly.

Should I treat for flukes based on this?

sharn
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:10 AM
it sounds like it might be flukes. ive read about how fish will produce extra mucus in their gills when they have flukes and perhaps thats what your seeing?

they often use one gill, pump one or both and flash trying to dislodge the flukes.

de-fluking is pretty mild i think so it would definatly be a good first shot, good luck!

Bronx19
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
Update, I've administered fluke and tape worm tablets and will now wait 48 hours to see what happens.