PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel Cleaning

Liverpool_pete
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 08:35 AM
I have just got a new 220l barrel that has stored gerkins in it. Was wondering what sort of cleaning other than rinsing out is needed to use this one as a storage barrel.

Ben
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:19 PM
I have 7 of them, this is what i did when i first got the barrels.

Rinse with water

Add a 1 litre bottle of no name brand unscented bleach per drum.

use a broom and scrub well.

empty out bleach and rinse 5 times.

fill with water and leave for 2 or 3 days out side.

empty then its ready to go!

A bit extreme but better to be on the safe side!

Liverpool_pete
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks for that ben sounds good to me

Ben
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:27 PM
I always go "over the top" when it comes to my fish!

A simple bleach and scrub would be ok though.....

Robdog
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 02:06 AM
What about a brand new 20L water container straight off the shelf. Any prep needed?

Ben
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 02:35 AM
A thougher rinse will be fine with a new food grade drum/barrel.

Phlipper
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 03:24 AM
Yep, off the shelf just needs a good rinse out................I personally just sterilise all my drums etc etc with a strong home made Melafix solution, and rinse lightly afterwards, I usually let the Melafix solution sit overnight before rinsing.

Home made Melafix.........buy a bottle of Tea Tree oil from Chemist, supermarket or similar { $7.00}, add 10ml of it to 1 litre of water, shake and dose tanks at a rate of 5ml to 40 litres of water, a small 100ml bottle of Tea Tree oil makes up 10 litres of Melafix and saves about $250. This is all Melafix is, just Tea tree Oil and water, the one I use all the time is made from Melaleuca arternifolia, I use ir as a regular tank disinfectant as well, and it wont hurt the fish at all and only requires a light rinsing before use.................see picture of Tea Tree Oil

musichocmilkshake
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:34 AM
well well well - three holes in the ground!

Thanks for that little money saving tip :D

Liverpool_pete
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
I just noticed there are different strengths of Tea Tree Oil what strenght is the one you are using phil.

I purchased 100% tea tree oil but it looks like yours has a % on the bottle as well can you let us know what it is or give us a bigger pic of the bottle.

Thanks for the money saving idea as well

Phlipper
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:39 AM
100% Tea Tree Oil, didn't know you could even get it ?

Anyway, my bottle says .................Melaleuca Oil 15% w/w
{Melaleuca artenofolia }

Hope that helps 8-)

marg
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:38 AM
Phil,

If your Bottle says Melaleuca Oil 15%, what else is in it?

Just concerned in case it contains anything that may hurt the Fish.

Marg.

Liverpool_pete
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:45 AM
Phil,

Its only a 10ml bottle. I guess i will have to scale down the amount to 15% of your instructions. Would that seem correct???

So 1.5ml of Tea tree oil per Litre of water then use it at 5ml per 40l

BTW the 10ml bottle was less than $4 from chemist. I can add photos if you like.

Phlipper
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:14 PM
Phil,

If your Bottle says Melaleuca Oil 15%, what else is in it?

Just concerned in case it contains anything that may hurt the Fish.

Marg.

I presume its just something like pure water to dilute it, just to make more money I guess. I've using it for a long time as do a lot of others with no problems ? I've really got no idea what the companies dilute it with but I presume it's much the same as what they dilute Melafix with and most other liquid medications. The home made Melafix idea is not new and it was recommended to me ages ago, seems to work just as well on wounds, tatty fins etc.

Phlipper
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Phil,

Its only a 10ml bottle. I guess i will have to scale down the amount to 15% of your instructions. Would that seem correct???

So 1.5ml of Tea tree oil per Litre of water then use it at 5ml per 40l

BTW the 10ml bottle was less than $4 from chemist. I can add photos if you like.

I guess that formula sounds right, give it a try.

DR.V
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:17 PM
What do you guys put in the aging barrel other than air bubbles ?

Pump ? so that the water circulates ?

Thanks

Liverpool_pete
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 09:52 PM
In my other barrel i am using a old ehim 2213 full of carbon to polish the water and to circulate it. I drilled and used bulkheads in the barrel so the water is picked up at the bottom and the return is right at the top so it adds oxygen as it breaks the water surface going back in.