PDA

View Full Version : GeoLiquid and Waterchange

JQW
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:24 AM
Hey guys,

I bought 7 young discus yesterday for my 55Gal.
They are about 5~6cms at the moment, will move to larger tank later.

When I asked the guy from the lfs (he's a discus importer) about water changes, he said he only does than once a month. Like 20% per month.

I was surprised by this, but all his discus seems fine.
He told me that he uses Geoliquid weekly on all his tanks.
But is that going to replace the role of water change?

I tested his water when I got home, he has an ammonia reading of 1ppm and the fish are still very happy.

So anyone knows facts about geoliquid and how it affects water quality?
Also does what the guy's doing seem reasonable at all?

Regards

revkev
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
GeoLiquid use it for a while costs too much better to do regular water changes and use a good filter. He must use a lot of GeoLiquid with all those tanks? :roll:

Robdog
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:45 AM
The ammonia reading is probably just what's accumulated in the bag. From what I've heard Geoliquid isn't much chop and generally not worth the cash.

lesley
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:52 AM
is this the guy in Oakleigh?

if so, he makes up his own from betonite - don't know if the additives are the same as geoliquid or not.

I use geoliquid (from age of aquariums online) a lot. In my experience it wont stop the need for water changes. It makes your water very clear and supposedly adds necessary minerals. I believe its base is bentonite which is used as a water purifier. You might be able to string out the water changes with it - nothing beats a water change, just look at your discus after you do one - but I would be very wary of a monthly one.

I have got my tanks near windows. I have a large piece of poly to run the water where I want it to go in the garden. I have then made up my own syphon gravel cleaner - using the clear "pipe" that comes with a large gravel cleaner and then taken the end off and put much larger and longer tubing on it and then syphon the water straight into the poly which is held in place by the window almost shut. Easy as.

HTH

Phlipper
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 02:16 AM
I have tried Geo Liquid and found no significant benefit, and as far as reducing water changes goes :? :?: :?: :?:
I know some people who swear by it, but just as many say it's a waste of time, and it can tend to cloud your water for a couple of days at least, so I dont think it's necessary at all, clean fresh water is the best method overall.

marg
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 02:34 AM
I have used use Geo Liquid but it proved too costly for me, as I am on a limited type of budget.

Switched over to Prime and am pretty happy with it.

I don't care what product you use, water changes are a must. No way would I leave any of my tank for a month without a water change - I would find it really difficult to miss 2 days.

Marg.

JQW
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 03:22 AM
Quite true - nothing beats a good water change.

I'll stick with the good water change regime.
I'm bit tight with time, so probably 10% three times a week.
I use prime, stability each time with water change.

Now I need a large water barrel to age the water and get the temp up before I add to the tank.
Also another pump, my pump isn't strong enough to pump water from floor level up to my tank.

Tank temp is 32 degrees celcius, and tap water is like below 10 degrees celcius. That's a worry.
Need heater too.

Bentonite, adsorbant. Quite interesting, I'll do some more read ups on it.
Anyone detect any decrese in nitrate level after GeoLiquid is added?

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 08:36 AM
Here's something that blew my mind Friday afternoon over a couple of drinks. A close mate of mine had a friend up here who is an importer and large retailer. He has over 300 tanks, many of which are on a salt water system and he hasn't changed water for 3 years. Don't believe it? Neither did I to start with but it's true! His filtration system is a state of the art setup that has cost many thousands of dollars. Once he explained it to me I could understand why. All they do is top up once a week.

His tanks are some of the best in a large shop I've ever seen and his losses are way below industry standards in quarantine. Just goes to show, there are many ways to get the results you want in this hobby.
MAC

lesley
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 01:13 AM
Hello MAC,

so what allows him to not have to change water - filtering material, aeration?? I know it is going to be beyond most of us to achieve what he does, but I am interested to know.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:52 PM
Lesley,
A very sophisticated filtration system.
MAC

nicholas76
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
Gday guys

Firstly if the guy he mentions is a large wholesaler retailer..........he bags the fish say 1-2 liters per bag ect ect.....his systems will need top ups !! Not likje a static tank one normally would keep......also the water loss is not through evaperation......thus in effect the bagging and topping up is essentialy water changes ??

secondly Geo liquod is not a form of biological filtration, its mechanical. In theory it bonds "matter" together and that hits the bottom and or gets sucked into your filter, hence how it "cleans your tank".. Does it work? probably? does it replace or work better than a water change?? NO chance!

lesley
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Nicholas,

of course a water purifier is not a biological filter. what I have found is that with mechanical filtering on the intakes of the filters and vacuuming the bottom of the tank the geoliquid makes it easy to clean up. I do actually think that the fish seem to like the water after additions of geoliquid, but, of course, don't have anything I can demonstrate to show that.

Do I think that geoliquid is essential? probably not - it is one of the things that I have added in my quest for the best water for my fish and one of the things that is part of a dash of this and a dob of that!

Incidentally bentonite is used to clarify wine, a noble quest indeed! One winemaker told me that using bentonite meant that he didn't need to use harsh chemicals.