PDA

View Full Version : POLL - Favourite brand of Canister Filters

SandyLynne
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:14 AM
It is time I add a secong filter to my 420L tank.

I have been running a JBL Cristal Profi for 12 months and I am very happy with it but wonder should I have 2 different types of filters?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Proteus
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:31 AM
Aqua One & Eheim Pro are my preferences

revkev
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:35 AM
Fluval XF5 liked it so much I,ve got 2 now :D

lesley
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 12:55 AM
OTTO - cheap and does great job

SandyLynne
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 08:53 PM
Thank you for your replies

Hi Proteus

Do you use the Aqua One Canister Filter or Aqua One Aquis

Hi Lesley

What is the Otto, I have never heard of it?

Proteus
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 10:19 PM
Aqua One & Aqua One Aquis are the same thing (same with Atman, same company, same product).

I have also used Otto's in the past, they are a good filter just a PITA to get parts or accessories for, and there support from the distributor is scary to say the least. (i.e. doesnt exist, well at least didnt a year ago)

lesley
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 01:16 AM
Hi guys,

I got the OTTOs from the LFS in Cranbourne. From memory $200 for the largest.

I have had mine bout a year, Proteus I will certainly ask about the spare parts situation. Specifically what parts did you have to replace?

Tunnel Rat
Wed Jul 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
Well I have to vote for Eheim Classic I have been out of the hobby for 14yrs.Just got the bug back :roll: pulled my 5 Eheim Classic filters I had in the shed out cleaned 3 of them up with just a wash and after 14yrs of collecting dust they are running totally silent just like they are brand new.Now thats quality not one problem So far I have had the 2x2217 & 1x 2213 running for three months all I did was fit some new media even the hoses were still soft.I am cleaning up the other two 2217 to go on a new tank.I think it helped a lot that I cleaned them and put the o'rings in the can before storing them.
.For me I will only buy Eheim :thumb

Off topic recently got two new air pumps one was a Eheim 200 (for tank) the other a Stella C30 (S/water drum) was told the Stella was just as quiet as the Eheim and cheaper.Wrong the Eheim is totally silent totally I must say the Stella is quiet but you can still hear it a little. Did I say the Eheim is totally silent totally :D ordered the Eheim 400 for the new tank.
QUALITY :D

thx
Rat

neverserious
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 01:03 PM
fluval all the way!

:lol:

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 01:47 AM
Eheim Classic and Eheim Professional, although I must say I like the Fluval FX5 for big tanks.

Davo
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:31 AM
I have a Eheim Pro 2028 and a Eheim Classic 2213. They are both fantastic. Quiet and top quality.

I am saving up for a Eheim Pro 3 2080.

Tam
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:50 AM
you can basically buy two Aqua one filters for the price of one Eheim... which one would you buy?

i'd personally get the two aqua one filters. 1 or 2? i'd rather have two filters than one at the same price.

i have bought and sold so many aqua one cf1200 in the past (about 5), cheap and does the job.

Tam

WinnY
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
Any1 here use Rena canisters? I have 2 and they are fantastic.

Marinemom
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:10 PM
Myself? I love eheims. They are so quiet and efficient. When I say quiet, I mean silent. In fact, sometimes I have to walk over to the tanks that have the eheims just to make sure that thet are still working. They are. My vote is definetly for the eheim classic series canister filters.

Marinemom

RJ_Archer
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:19 PM
iv got an otto canister and iv had almost no problems with it. i havnt tryed a ehime yet :(. but iv herd nothing but great words about them. we use them in the shop and we rarely clean them

*Chris*
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:11 PM
eheim classic and pro all the way
Fx5 not to bad but you got the cash buy the eheim LOL
chris

xzbit
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
I got my first ehiem and installed it today a classic 2217, appears to be real quiet and has a good flow rate! The only other cannister I've used is the Jebo! Its ok and does the job! Nothing special though!

BillyFurtado
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:37 AM
Yep,Rena here love my rena canister no draw backs what so ever and silent i have mine right next to my bed :)

g.c.discus
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:57 AM
aqua one for me. is silent and easy to clean and priced well. was good to see recommendation from proteus as he would see all the problems, parts availability etc :D

scott bowler
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:21 AM
i have a fluval 403 whitch i have had for 16 years and never had a prob with and runs great its the old brown round one it is good and i love it

Robdog
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:30 PM
I'll chuck in a vote for the Aquaone CF1000. My first canister and it's fantastic. Quiet as a mouse and great as a second filter. Cheap too!

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 05:24 AM
ehiem classics have been the best i have ever used so far....keen to try the ehiem pro's though

ehiem baby

AQUAMX
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
Eheim for me.

The simple fact that a company continues spare parts and are obtainable of the shelf 30 years on says it all. Working in the industry, i can say eheim are the only copmpany that back it product this well.

The amount of trouble with other labels is rediculous, then you need to obtain parts etc. When retailers of these smaller brands are calling other lfs for parts for their customers it says it all for me.

I prefer classics over pro series until you reach the pro 3. The Pro 3 is the best filter unit i have ever used.

Erk
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
I just purchased my first cannister filter, and its a rena filstar xP2, and so far so good, the directions were great! Its very quiet, and I didnt think the price was too bad! I look forward to noticing its performance in the future! Anyone have suggestions on how long I need to have the cannister hooked up with an old Bio wheel hang on the back filter? I only plan to use the cannister filter in the end. Its a 46 gallon tank, and the rena is good for a 75 gallon tank?

Thanks!

Hail2Pitt02
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
For price and quality my pick is either Rena's XP line or Cascade's line of canisters. If money was no object it would be Eheim all the way. Especially the 21 series. I love those thermofilters.

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:12 AM
Ehiem classic, performance, price, reliability and service. I've got 2 hand me downs over 30 years old and still going strong, and my new 2213,2217's, 2228 have never missed a beat (5,5,2,1 years running)

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
I recommend Fluval. I own a 205 and a 404. My buddy swears by Ehiem, and his tank looks amazing. I would recommed both as quality canister filters.

niko001
Sun Apr 01, 2007, 04:41 PM
My favourite remains Eheim although I had jebo with no problems at all for quite some time. Cheaper than any other filters and reliable as well.