PDA

View Full Version : Cryptobia iubilans

Jaws
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 06:21 AM
Hi Has anyone had any experience with the above and if so which medications work best . Thanks

fishgeek
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 07:31 AM
no personal experience with it
is it affecting the gills?
i think the species you are asking about is an intestinal form an has been implicated in malawi bloat??

cyrtobia sp are flagellated protozoa
there have been many documneted species and of these most are thought to be non pathogenic

i have no documented treatmnet literature available to me at present(will hit the books at work) and i would go on first principles of either if the fish are showing excess mucous and flicking etc of external infection then use generic external parasite treatments , whichever you are happy with potassium permanganate /formalin/increased temperature etc
or if it is the intestinal form then being a porotzoa metronidazol would be your best treatment option though i think these particular organism's cause granuloma's and hence can hide within the reactive tissue so longer in feed medication maybe appropriate or if the fish is large enough then injections

hth
andrew

samir
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 07:54 AM
dimetridazole 80mg/litre for 3 days. medication should be changes every day.thats the only drug i've heard of that controls it.

Jaws
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.After 2 days of Dimet. there are signs of improvement.

samir
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:59 AM
good to hear that :) do keep us posted.

RichVic
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but Samir I dont know what the "fish lived" story is and I keep seeing the quote. Please explain the fish lived story or if you're referring to something published on the forum, please direct me.
Not sure if, you mean it more generically - like the people who smoke in rooms with small kids and tell you there's nothing wrong with their bright happy kids, Is it that kind of thing?

Nathan
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 10:47 AM
yea ive been wonderin aswel

samir
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
long story all 14 odd pages are on
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7717
:lol: :lol: :lol: