-suitable conditioning food
-R/O D/I unit
-time
-patience
-money
-space
-fry food
-test kits
I'm still pretty much clueless about this, so if anyone could give me a hand that would be great. I need to do a LOT of research. I've read all the stickies on breeding, but have never kept discus before.
Sean

Zbiljc
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
I will tell on MSN;)

No_Clue
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:01 PM
Lol, alright. I accepted you.
Sean

Nathan
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 10:53 AM
id try and keep discus for while so you kno what they like an how you personally will manage there needs then think about goin into breeding.

you really do need to have an idea bout these fish before trying to breed them.

welcome to the forum though an you will definitely learn half the things you need to kno here but the other half will come from experience which is what u need before tryn to breed these beauties.

all the best

No_Clue
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 01:20 AM
O yes, I fully understand that, lol. I don't plan on getting a breeding pair and jumping right into it. I'll research and plan for months, then I'll buy 6-8 or so and raise them to maturity. I'll hopefully gain a lot of experience doing this. I am fully prepared to dedicate all the time, energy and money needed to have these beautiful fish thrive, grow, and hopefully breed.
Sean

mcloughlin2
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 01:57 AM
For someone who is clueless you have a very good idea on whats needed....

However only a 2x18x18 is needed for breeding...dont buy 4ft tanks for that...

No_Clue
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks! I've learned a lot from this forum. I gathered that I don't need a 4 foot tank for breeding. Its cuz the fry can find their parents easier in a smaller tank, right? And does a 75-125 gallon tank seem like a suitable size for a growout tank? Also, to raise the 6-12 or so fry to maturity (before I try to breed them), could I do this in the 125 gallon and future breeding tank? Or would I need another tank so as not to stunt their growth?
Sean
EDIT: Also, I plan on using this as a small sort of income. What could I expect to make from having 3 or 4 pairs (eventually) each month? I calculated that if I made $10 per fry (which could be expected, they sell for like $70 or more around here) with 50 fry being sold per batch, I could make about $500 per batch from one pair. I don't know how accurate this is, thats why I'm asking. Don't worry, I'm still in planning/research stages. I'm hardly out of "wild idea" stage.

Nathan
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:39 AM
i highly doubt you will get $70 per discus, it also depends on what age an size you sell them at, an also who you sell them to. if you sell them to an LFS then you will probly get maybe $15-20 each one.

just all depends on the size health an who you sell them to

No_Clue
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:46 AM
I didn't expect to get anywhere near $70 per discus, you misunderstood me. I said if the LFS sells them starting at $70 per discus, I should be able to sell them to the LFS for at least $10 per discus. I wish I could get $70 per discus!! Lol.
Sean