PDA

View Full Version : what happens at 40 degrees ?

Pauly
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 09:49 AM
Hey guys Im new to this forum and relatively new to OZ , (1 & 1/2 yrs). I have had discus before in N.Z. and was looking at getting back in to them again now I have settled . Just one thing though , what happens when the temperatures rise above 35 degrees and you dont have air con ? Oh , and congrat's on the great forum.

Robdog
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:07 AM
Ice packs, fans pointed at water surface, chillers, crossed fingers etc
Welcome to the forum mate. Good win for you guys on the weekend too. Very hard for me to give credit to a kiwi. :lol:

Pauly
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah it was a good game ' Aye bro' . Ice packs and fans sounds like alot of inconvenience , is there nothing to cool the water such as a refridgeration unit .

dreamer
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
time to invest on aquarium chiller

Robdog
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:45 AM
Ice packs, fans pointed at water surface, chillers, crossed fingers etc

mcloughlin2
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
Put a bucket of cold water with a heap of icecubes in front of a fan - direct the fan towards your tank and that helps a fair bit...

Best bet is to save up and purchase a air conditioner mate...

You'l die in summer otherwise :lol:

Phlipper
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:24 AM
You can certainly invest in a good water chiller unit, most large fish stores sell them or at least order one in......but they dont come cheap, around $500 for a good unit. .............. Hmmmm, may be more practicle to get air con in the house instead.

On really hot days here I just run a cheap mobile evaporative air conditioner directed into my fish room, seems to work OK.

G-1000
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
Why not do a slow water change with purely cold water ?

G

Pauly
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
Wow thanks for the advice guys , still renting at mo so chiller unit might be best bet , although exspensive . I would use ice and fans but sometimes I work long and late hours and these may not be able to be used in time. Does anybody know of any brands or of any diy ideas.
A portable air con unit ,( maybe attached to a thermostat ), might be the best idea , then I can benefit also , but I would rather cool just a tank than an empty house when Im not home. I will have to work out whether air con or whether a chiller unit is more efficient . Thanks guys.

FishLover
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 05:06 PM
set the air con at 32C. You and your fish will both be happy. You can up a bit while you are away. Just make sure you un-plug the heater of the tank.

I'm not sure if I can sleep at night if the temp is over 32C.

DiscusMan
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 05:07 PM
In the hotter months turn the heater way day in your tank say set it to 26 so if by any chance it gets cold it will turn on but for the most you wont ehat teh water at all.

Cheapest thing is to doa water change. Buy a bottle of prime or similar top quality chem for chlorine etc adn do a straight water change with colder water without aging the water. Making sure PH etc are all ok.

Be nice to get some feedback from some forum guys who dont have air con ( i do ) that can give some feedback on how hot there tanks get with what volume of water etc. I dont think the water will get hot enough to worry as long as you got your blinds/curtains on your windows in the room closed an keep the house as cool as possible the temp wont get to high anyways.

Pauly
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe I'm dumb ,but why would i need to turn down the heater ? Wouldnt the thermostat on it stop it from operating above its main temp setting ?
I'm looking at getting a 500ltr to 600ltr tank how would this be affected by the hotter days?
And yes fishlover I find it very hard to sleep in summer ,its very easy to sweat though ! :D
Sorry I dont mean to be another whinging Kiwi , Aussie's choice aye cuz :thumb

FishLover
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
If you check the heater, you will see it turns on and off even if the thermostat is set at lower than the tank water temp. I'm not sure why. The only sure way is to un-plug it or switch it off.

Phlipper
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:27 AM
If you check the heater, you will see it turns on and off even if the thermostat is set at lower than the tank water temp. I'm not sure why. The only sure way is to un-plug it or switch it off.

Shouldn't be doing that ?..............me thinks something faulty with that heater ?

goldenpigeon
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 03:03 AM
i bought a portable air conditioner (reverse cycle) from bunnings not long ago. really good unit and very efficient. i would suggest one of these if your renting :D

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the forum Pauly.

"What happens at 40 degrees?"

If your water temp reaches 40 degrees (which is unlikely, even on a 40 degree day) then there's just one answer ..................................

Fish soup mate ........... fish soup. :(

samir
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 05:38 AM
thick curtains and a mini portable ac will give you and your fish some respite :) . i doubt if the temp inside your house will ever cross 35c and thats pretty easy to get down.

Pauly
Sun Jul 16, 2006, 05:11 AM
You are right the best thing to do would be to keep the house cool. Any thing that will keep me cool should do the same for the tank. Ie aircon ,shut curtains etc. Thanks guys.