PDA

View Full Version : How do u recoganize sex in Discus ( male & female)

worliman
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 09:16 AM
hi, guys

I am from Worli, Mumbai, India, have been following your forums for quite sumtime, have benifited from your IDeas & experience. I have 2pairs of PigeonDiscus, 1Pair of Blue Diamond, 1 Pair of Blue Turk. & Red Pigeon i think, wloud like to know how do you recoganize or diffrentiate Male-Female.

Thanks Guys

Worliman

DiscusMan
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 09:28 AM
Not so easy to do.

1. You can see the difference if you turn the fish upside down and look at there breeding tube area. This takes time and experience to be able the tell and also becomes a lot easier after the fish has had a batch ie the mothers will be more noticeable once its stretched a bit.

2. Fish apperance, males commonly have a elongated top fin once they mature. Also the males are larger in most cases. the appearance things are no where near 100% proof of the fishes sex.

3. Oberve the fish spawning and you cna see the difference in the breeding tubes. Females is like a hose males comes out to a point. This takes luck to see as you need to be around when there a frisky.

Hope that helps some

Wayne

DiscusMan
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah welcome to the forum.

Dont be shy and get involved with some of the chats.

Wayne

worliman
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:50 AM
thanks, wayne.

will keep an eye on the finer points u gave.

i definately will get more involved, the knowledge in here is like a vast ocean,

thanxs

mcloughlin2
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
Heres a good link with some information on determining sex - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426

samir
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:15 PM
hi and welcome to the forum. i'm from Bandra myself :D

worliman
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
thanx mcloughlin2,

the finer points which u have given r quite similar to wat i c with my pigeon pair.

thanx will keep u posted

thanx again for the finer points