PDA

View Full Version : moving discus

stippleguy
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 06:53 PM
Ok, we have moved a discus from one aquarium to another and she is not looking very good. We understand that a change of environment can stress them out but we are afraid that it stressed it out greatly. Can this kill a fish? She is about the size of a baseball and we have had her for about two years. We also moved some smaller ones at the same time and they seem to ge doing just fine. But the big one is lying nose down in the bottom of the tank. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hedphelym
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 10:21 PM
i'm not an expert, but i dont think there's much you can do, other then to check that everything else is fine (water etc).

i just moved 2 discus from my maintank and over to a tank with a breeding cone in it, they stressed the first day, but now they are happy again..

hope it works out for your discus.

sammigold
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:39 AM
How long has she been nose down.... they can take a couple of days to recover...

did you acclimatise her to new conditions...

Maybe a little Epsom salts may help... 1 teaspoon per 40 litres... can sometimes help with a swim bladder problem...

What are your water parameters... are they much different from what she was in previously... and where was she moved from.. ie. did she spend time travelling... or was it just tank to tank within your house... (just trying to gauge how traumatising the move may have been)

stippleguy
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 02:25 PM
thanks for the replys folks. I guess I got a little anxious. She is fine now. Never moved her before so wasn't sure if I did it right. I used most of the water from her old tank in the new one so water was basically the same. Just moved her within the same room. Thanks again for the replys

sammigold
Mon Jul 10, 2006, 02:19 AM
Glad to here all is ok.... they sometimes do take a little while to recover even from a short move... :-)