PDA

View Full Version : Lowering PH.........best method ?

Phlipper
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:53 AM
Lost track of the post regarding this topic, so I'll start again.

I made a comment in regards to most people I know keep and breed their Discus in a PH of around 6.8, and recieved some replies back that this is very wrong, that most breeders keep their fish at very low PH levels, and that a PH of around 6.0 or lower is the only way to go ???

So with this in mind, how does one lower and keep a PH down that low {6.0} constantly without lowering agents such as sodium biphosphate or similar. I fully understand lowering PH by adding more fish, wood, Co2 etc will have a PH lowering effect, but not down to PH 6.0 or less.

So all the breeders who keep their Discus in bare bottomed tanks, no wood etc etc ..how do you do it ???......there has been much discussion on PH lowering additives being unhealthy for your fish, raising nitrates etc...
.....so what is a person to believe ???? :?

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 04:17 AM
Hi Phlipper,

If you're referring to the post I think you are then I can't remember anyone saying a very low Ph was the only way to go. I'm sure there are many people on this forum that breed their fish at all sorts of varying Ph levels. If there's one thing I have learned about fish it would be that there are always loads of ways of doing everything, no one way is the right way, it's what suits the individual. If it's not broken don't fix it, if you're getting the results you want keep doing what you're doing.

There are many ways of lowering your Ph levels from Hydrochloric Acid to the commercial Ph down products to peat. Some people will think using Hydrochloric is madness, others swear by Phospheric and vice verca, again, it's what suits you.

I think most breeders these days use bare bottom tanks for breeding Discus but I'm sure there are a few that don't. Confusing aint it lol! Just try a few different things/ways of achieving what you want and you will quickly make up your mind what is best for you.
Cheers
MAC