PDA

View Full Version : My Hammer-lock stand set-ups

KillieOrCory
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

There was a little bit of interest on the hammer-lock stands for fish tanks a little while back. Below is three of my set-ups on hammer-locks to give people some ideas.

http://www.akvaryumhobisi.com/CKSG/setup1.jpg
Set up as three tiered shelf with the bottom shelf used as storage

http://www.akvaryumhobisi.com/CKSG/tanks.jpg
Set up as two tiered bench

http://www.akvaryumhobisi.com/CKSG/tanks2.jpg
Another set up as two tiered bench

I find them very usefull for my purposes. Each shelf is capable of carrying level 350 kg apparently!

samir
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:53 PM
where does one get them ? do they have diy kits ?

wickedglass
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 02:48 PM
here's the manufacturer's site with a link to stockists

http://www.summit.com.au

samir
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:05 PM
thanks wickedglass i found them at office works. will they bend in the middle or are they ok ?

KillieOrCory
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 01:09 AM
Samir,

The 350kg unit won't bend in the middle at all. The surface area of the shelf is 900mmx400mm and if you set one up as a bench you get surface area on the top shelf that is 1800mmx400mm.

They have quite a few models so you have to make sure you get the one you need. For fish tanks stronger the better. To give you an idea the two large looking tanks on photo 2 and 3 up the top are 4 footers (one of them is divided into 4!!!)

They have units that can carry 50kg per shelf as well as units carrying 150kg and the one I prefer that carry 350kg per shelf.

350kg units come as 4 snd 5 shelf units. I prefer getting the 4 shelf units to have max space between the top of the tank and the shelf above.

I got 5 of them I bought from various hardware stores and one from BigW. Like most equipment and fish in fish keeping; I started with one shelving unit and it went downhill from there

:lol:

samir
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:08 AM
the stockist link does not work so i emailed them and got Bunnings, Mitre 10 and Home Hardware as their three major stockists.

aquartos
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:18 PM
Looks great! Nice and neat....

Robdog
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 01:31 AM
I've got some of these on serkan's advice and I think it is great. Even my girlfriend thought it was a good idea and insisted she help set the whole thing up. She also wants me to get one more small tank to visually balance the shelves. GOLD!

I got mine for $79 at Bunnings.

Ben
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 01:58 AM
Robdog, my advice is Marry her mate!!

samir
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:05 AM
Robdog, my advice is Marry her mate!!
Rob dont marry her for anything less than a 10 footer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robdog
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:16 AM
Samir have you been eavesdropping? I've been dropping 10ft hints every since Ladyred's thread!

samir
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:40 AM
hehehe :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL

goldenpigeon
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 05:36 AM
just make sure a tank covers every wall of the house THEN marry her. after the knot is tied there is no going back on the tanks hehe ;)

Robdog
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
Well I'm in a 2 bed apartment and I've filled 2 walls of the spare bedroom with tanks. Considering the other wall has a big window and the other is a built in wardrobe with floor to ceiling mirrors I reckon I'm doing pretty good so far.
I think the "just get one more tank to even it up" statement may be a trap. Maybe she thinks it's justification to get a diamond on her finger. :?
Tank or diamond? Tank or diamond? Only one person can enjoy a diamond.........

.....and imagine how many tanks I could get for the same price as a diamond!

samir
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 07:00 AM
i got the 405, 35okg, looks real flimsy to me, are you guys sure ???

goldenpigeon
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 07:45 AM
hahaha dont leave her hanging too long rob! but yer IMO go for the tank, then make a diamond substrate for the tank then you can both enjoy diamonds (might cost a few extra $*,***,***.** thoagh lol)

Th0mas
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 08:21 AM
Samir,

It does look flimsy when I first checked them out, but tanks are dead weight and it doesn't move or smack on the shelf so it should be fine.

I've got the 4 tiers 150Kg version to try out for my apisto setup. I've got the power boards sticked inside the side rails while the light (60cm T5 fluro from lighting shop) mounted under the shelf to provide extra room to work. The only problem is all the cables are everywhere.

With the tank I've placed in the shelfs, a max of 75Kg of glass + water is calculated and none of the shelf bend.

Thomas.

KillieOrCory
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 05:06 AM
Hi all,

The house I am getting build is coming along nicely and we just went through and marked out the spots where we would like power points, light switches etc.

Along the wall where I am planning to have my hammer-lock stands I got the electrician to put 4 quad power points along the length of the wall. I am hoping this will reduce the need for me to use excessive number of power boards.

I am planning to set-up some of the tanks like this:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/KillieOrCory/setup1.jpg

Will see how it will turn out.

samir
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 05:53 AM
i'm still extremely nervous about them,i feel that with time the odds are heavily stacked in favour of a very wet experience. so i've decided to make something with 2X4's,that way i'll make something, that weighs hundreds of kilos, costs hundreds of dollars,and is too heavy to move. :lol:

KillieOrCory
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 06:06 AM
Hi Samir,

I understand your concerns. Once they are set-up with tanks on them; like the instructions say "when the weight is equally distributed" they are very sturdy. You can't even shake it even if you try.

My original stand has been in constant use for about 7-8 years. The thing to remember though is that I tend to not use substrate in my tanks on the stand. It is not due to worry about the stands ability to carry the weight but due to my fish breeding.

I played with the idea of making stands from 2by4's but as I am DIY challenged I gave up on the idea. I find the hammer-lock unit is perfect for my application but will not suit everybody. Also one has to make sure no water goes on the boards, since they absorb the water and swell. I just paint it when I paint the stand and have no worries.

i've decided to make something with 2X4's,that way i'll make something, that weighs hundreds of kilos, costs hundreds of dollars,and is too heavy to move. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Each to their own I suppose :wink: