PDA

View Full Version : blue ram on bottom

aquaholic
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:16 AM
HI all
one of my blue rams has been stuck on the bottom of the tank for the last couple of days.he seems very fat and quite dark in colour. he does move around but not much at all.i am thinking maybe a swim bladder problem? but any thoughts would be great.

cheers andrew

sammigold
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 09:46 AM
I would tend to agree, have you tried epsom salts?

1 teaspoon per 40litres that could help him if it is a digestive or swim bladder issue... HTH

aquaholic
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:05 PM
thanks for that sami.
I think i will put him in the hospital tank and give the epsom salts a go.does epsom salts hurt plants?

cheers andrew

sammigold
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:29 AM
i am not sure but I think any type of salt in higher concentrations will not be liked by plants....

Good luck

ps. I have used epsom salts in a guppy tank that has hair grass in it and it didnt seem to affect it but I dont know about other plants..sorry

Phlipper
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:58 AM
A small dose of salts at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres of water will have very little effect on your plants, give it a try.

aquaholic
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:26 AM
It has been 24hrs since he has been in with the salt and i havn't noticed an improvement . Should i redose with the salt or will that mean the salt will build up to much.

cheers andrew

sammigold
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:50 AM
I was told that with Epsom salts you will normally see a result within 24 hrs if it is going to help... so I dont know if another dose would actually help any...

Does he have any other symptoms of anything?
You may need to try a broadspectrum antibacterial Medication to see if that helps... I am not really sure what to suggest sorry..

sorry that the Epsom salts didnt help... good luck..

samir
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 05:19 AM
are the scales sticking out ??? sounds like dropsy. Waterlife's Octozin may help or tetracycline. dont keep adding salt, only replenish salt when you do water changes. you need to check the water quality of your main tank and give it a clean.

aquaholic
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 08:11 AM
thanks for that guys.
I thought as much with the salts that 24hrs i should have seen a improvement.his scales aren't sticking out so not to sure about the dropsy thing but he did sink like a rock when i put him in the hospital tank yesterday.main tank has no probs nitrites & amonia are 0 and the other fish are all happy,wc twice aweek.shall give the broadspectrum/tetracycline a go.once again thanks and i shall keep you posted.