PDA

View Full Version : New fish

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hi all,

Was taking a few pics of fry today so thought I would click a few off of my new fish. I bought her purely for her shape, actually, I didn't buy her, I think I stole her but that's another story. It was sold to me as a Wild Brown but if anything I would label it as a Wild Green. It's obviously not a wild fish but I like it and think it will throw some interesting fry. I've paired it up with a very interesting Gold Melon. I've mentioned this fish before as it is nothing like the other Gold Melons I have. He has a distinct green tinge and piercing red eyes. I hope you like her, I do.
MAC

marg
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:36 AM
They are both beautiful Mac, you should get some really interesting babies out of that pair.,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:41 AM
i think they are awesome! and would be an interesting cross. wonder which has the dominant genes?

samir
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:44 AM
i'm not sure what the'll throw up. won't you get peppered fry ? i'm probably wrong. i love both your fish, just shows me how far off i am where shape and quality goes. i'll be going through you posts to have a look at more of your fish, i hope you have some more pics up, i'm pretty jealous. :D

Discus 41
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:52 AM
Keep us posted on your success with getting these two to breed,i think the colours you may get will have us all asking how much

G-1000
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:54 AM
In terms of genes - PB is dominant to all except white and ghost I think. So majority of oppsring will be PB - however you may end up with some very sexy pearl pigeons with green tinges through the striations

G

Dee
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:33 AM
Heya MAC,

That's a damn nice brown/green/alenquer, what ever it is mate ... it's a beauty ! Im a big fan of the oldschool strains and thats a top example. Best of luck with your cross, will be very intrested to see the out come :wink:

Cheers,

Dee :)

discusjim
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:33 PM
Nice fish!!
Looks like a brown to me or blue. Is that gold melon from Roy Knoo line?
Aren't they a cross between a red melon and a golden. Then it should trow some nice red/brown based fish aswel. It will be a interesting cross. Good luck. Nice shape on these fish.
Jim

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll keep you posted if I can get them to breed.

Yes Jim, the Melon is one of Roy Khoo's, he's always been one of my favourites coz he's so different from the rest.

Samir, you'll find plenty of photos of my fish and fish room here http://community.webshots.com/user/mistakesarecrucial but many of them are a year or so old.

Cheers
MAC

Robdog
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:28 AM
She is beautiful MAC. That's right up my alley. The two Red Alenquers I've just picked up are very similar in appearance. Bravo!

samir
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:59 AM
Samir, you'll find plenty of photos of my fish and fish room here http://community.webshots.com/user/mistakesarecrucial but many of them are a year or so old.

Cheers
MAC
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: thats quite a heavy setup you've got. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: the previous jealousy has been multiplied by a few million.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:37 AM
Thanks Rob, best of luck with your Alenquers.

Samir, lol! It took 6 months hardwork to build both systems and one helluva learning curve but they're working pretty well now. If you're ever up this way come and have a sticky beak.
MAC

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:43 AM
samir i have seen MACs fish room and it will blow you away! awesome set up he has!

marg
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 05:10 AM
Mac,

just had a look at your Fish Room - what can I say - I think G.P. has already said it - awesome :D :D :shock: :shock: !!

Marg.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 05:20 AM
Thanks Marg, it was alot of fun building it but it caused a few heart aches along the way. Cracking 4 brand new tanks coz the plumbing was too rigid comes straight to mind. I won't repeat what was said that day lol!

Did you see the most important thing of all in the room, the Directors chair lol!
MAC

norto
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 07:57 AM
Just having a look at your fish room MAC , Fantastic I got two questions, Pardon my lack of knowledge but what are in the sumps and what exactly are they doing? Question 2 How long were you into discus before you started this setup? :) :)
Cheers,
Norto.

marg
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:27 AM
Mac,

If I had a fantastic Fish Room like that one I'd need a Directors Chair too, cause you wouldn't get me out of it - the Discus would mesmerize me!!

Marg.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hi Norto,

Filter media, that's what's in the sumps. All sorts of different filter media. What do they do? They filter my water.

I was into Discus for a while before I started this setup.
MAC

norto
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 11:26 PM
Mac,
I was down at SLS yesterday to get my first fish and they had some of the filters setup like yours and when I found out what they did exactly I felt a little bit stupid about the question I had asked, But as they say don,t ask and you will never know.
Norto.

the_oracle
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 12:47 AM
Mac,
Wonderful set-up you have.............
How long did it take to get em runnin?
Love those angels too............
You're not into Altums, are you?

Sanie.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hey Norto,

There aren't any stupid questions and especially on here, everyone helps each other. I felt a bit crappy because I didn't answer in more detail but I was on my way out of the door when I read your post.

Hi Oracle,

Took us 6 months on and off to get the systems up and running and another 3 fine tuning things. I'm not in to Angels anymore, sold all my breeding pairs to Sarah who is a member here. I've had Altums but the batch that a mate and I bought had some dreaded lurgy and they all died, 15 of them and haven't tried them since. If I bought any again it would be off SLS and no one else.
Cheers
MAC

the_oracle
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:20 AM
Wow.........6months.......You endured and now your set-up is awesome.......How many tanks altogether?
Sure look like an LFS........
Too bad bout your Altums.......Never give up till you can conquer em..........
Take care.

Sanie.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:06 AM
I have 35 tanks all up but not all of them are in use right now. However, my fish partner and I realise that with what we have going on we will need 5 or 10 more before too long. We'll just have to see how we go. I love it, the more the merrier. Just have to sneak them in past the wife lol!
Cheers
MAC

goldenpigeon
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:42 AM
im sure she wont notice at all MAC :lol: "hmmm where did these tanks from i wonder? :roll: " hehe

can we have some update pics? anything happened between them yet?

the_oracle
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 06:02 AM
With all those 35 tanks, you sure know how to sneak past your wife.............lol.........
In no time she'll realise that your tanks are getting more by the day.
Good luck to you..............

Sanie.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 09:59 PM
Nothing yet David but it wont be long. Id say theyll spawn by the time you pick them up, getting very jiggy with it lol.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:09 PM
David,

You asked for updated pics of the two fish so I've taken a few this morning. There's also some really bad photography of a few Spotted Leopard fry. They throw about 30% Leopards, a few Red Turks and a fish that looks like a White Swan to me but perhaps someone with more experience can put an exact name to it. I find with these Spotted Leopards that the female is far more colourful than the male but they throw an interesting mix.
Cheers
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:14 PM
A few fry. They haven't been graded yet so there's a few runts hanging around in this tank.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:22 PM
Here's a few of my favourite Gold Melon pair with 4 day old fry.
MAC

the_oracle
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hey mate,
Clean those water mark before taking pics.........lol
Those SL fries do look kinda mixed............
They can turn out to look unique. Guess you can name them what you want. Keep us updated as they grow. I wanna see how they develop their color and markings................

Those GM pair have good shape. Well done to you...........
Cheers.

Sanie.

goldenpigeon
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:18 AM
WOW! looking excellent! love the SL pair and the fry look great! was that browny red fish in the last pic of the fry (up the top) a rose red or something along those lines?

the GM have excellent colouring! fantastic shape and you have a pair of goof parents :D:D:D:D:D

very nice

Cheers
David

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:59 AM
Hey Sanie,

You want clean tanks, I'll PM you my address and the job is all yours lol!

David,

It's a red turk but not a particularly good one.
MAC