PDA

View Full Version : what type of filter should i get.

Zac
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:18 AM
hi ive got 3 discus about 9cm that i am going to put in a bare bottom 3foot tank to try and get pairs.
But i do not know what sort of filter to get either sponge , box or external
which one would be the best if i was going to breed them in this tank?

samir
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:50 AM
wait till they get bigger about 12 cm maybe. right now you should concentrate on growing them up. everytime you move them they wont eat right for a few days and will be stressed. i suggest leave them where they are and once they pair then think about moving them.

stonedavid
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:20 AM
Hey Zac, Shldn't be too long before they breed just leave them in the tank to pair off, i use power filters on the back of the tank facing towards the front, then change over to sponge filter when eggs are about to hatch. Power filter is 300lt an hour. Doesn't seem to hurt my fish and if they want to stay out of the current they just go to the other end of tank. Buy what you can afford at the time. Everybody has their own way of breeding discus you just have to find what suits your individual fish.
Hope this helps.
Pete

Zac
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:29 AM
The main reason why im changing tanks is because the last one was only a 70 lt tank and it was getting to small for them.So would it be alright changing tanks with this reason?

TeeFM
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:21 AM
The chance of you getting a pair out of 3 discus is not that good. Usually, people will try to start with 6 to 8 discus to get a pair. In that case, you definitely need a bigger tank.