PDA

View Full Version : babe food between brine shrimp and beef heart

tao
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:02 AM
every day eat a lot brine shrimp. any good substitute? anyone saw daphnia in Sydney water system?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:55 PM
Micro worms, they love 'em.
MAC

Robdog
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 11:51 PM
Not sure about discus fry as I've never had any, but Apisto fry love frozen daphnia. Discus mouths are a lot bigger so they should love them too. My adult discus love them.
Relatively new company(that I've heard of anyway) called Posaqua and they do a few different kinds of frozen foods. Really good quality too.

tao
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:23 AM
micro worm is even smaller than brine shrimp. I doubt how much they can eat every meal.
Robdoy, where do you get frozen daphnia? I only saw frozen adult brine shrimp, beef heart, blood worm etc. and how much? Coz have hundreds of babies, I'd better think about the cost.
Thank you.

Robdog
Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:19 PM
I've only found it in one FS so far and that is Ace Aquariums at West Ryde. It's nowhere near my house but girlfriend plays netball nearby and they have great blackworms. The FS has good worms, not the netballers. :shock:

Can't remember how much but one cube feeds my 4ft and three breeding tanks , I re-freeze the remainder and use for next feeding.

Ben
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:58 AM
When weaning off BS i add small amounts of fine BH and BS at every feed for 5 days, increasing BH with each day. No need to feed another food type.

nicholas76
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 04:11 AM
spot on

Bens B/H mix when its diluted in water is all they need for food

tao
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 08:27 AM
thanks all especially Rob.
I will go to West Ryde next week.
I think beef heart has too much pollution when fish is small and have a lot leftover. will start to feed them beef heart when they reach 20cents size.

nicholas76
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 08:46 AM
tao

you will get more pollution however if you want max growth and developement this is the time when you should be pumping them with b/h and w/c

Ben
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:55 PM
pumping them with b/h and w/c

Thats how i could have them from free swimming stage to selling stage in only 10 weeks!

Dee
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 06:42 AM
Thats how i could have them from free swimming stage to selling stage in only 10 weeks!

Hear hear !!! Benny's grow outs where some of the best I have seen, great eye size to body size ratio IMO.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

DiscusMan
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 07:37 AM
White crane sell a good food for feeding baby discus.

Its called Discus growth and comes in a couple of different grades. #1 being the smallest size.

I feed this to my fry as well as giving them beef heart.

The Discus growth is small enough so when they start to get sick of feeding on the parents and looking on the bottom they have all this stuff to eat as well as feeding on the parents. Best of all it doesnt pollute the tank water :)

If ya want the babies to eat teh beef heart then make sure you pass it through a very fine mincer of chop if fine in teh food processor as the chunks can be rather large and may choke the babies in there hurry to eat.

Wayne