PDA

View Full Version : EOI: ALbino breeding pair

Diamond
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 12:18 AM
Just wondering how much is an Albino breeding pair worth? :? Have breed before!

I couldnt find any past history post.

mcloughlin2
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 12:48 AM
Alot of money!!! :lol:

Perhaps kev could give a ballpark figure...

Try searching for albinos for sale and then just add the price of two together and then double that...

Thats my guess... :lol:

G-1000
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:14 AM
Proven pair? If they have produced fry successfully before - then starting price would be 1000 bucks upwards.

However, an albino pair does not produce very robust offspring - i.e the double albino gene is very weak. Better to get one albino of either sex and try to mate it with a turk or PB to strengthen the bloodline - then inbreed the offspring (i.e breed F1 together to get 25% albino in F2).

That way the albinos you get are much stronger than usual and also have awesome patterns. I know that the albino x PB that crocky has made will be selling like hotcakes when theyre bigger - purely because they will make awesome albinos down the track.

G

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 11:37 PM
Hi G-1000,

Any other recommendations as to strains to mate with Albinos? How about red or yellow based fish such as Golden Leopards, Gold Melons or Red melons? What will they throw.
Cheers
MAC

G-1000
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hey Mac

red melon as in whitefaced marlboro ? Most of them would be a red melon albino i.e what you have atm just with red iris etc.

out of all of those - I would try the leopard because the pattern will be different throughout the offspring - i.e some will have an extensive turk-like pattern, then you might get a few fineline varieties or totally plain albinos.

It would be my preference to mate it with a turk/PB because these strains are generally more robust and frequently seen in larger sizes. The albino gene is not only a visual gene (like as in devoid of black pigment) it is a gene affecting the whole fish - immune system, vision for the fish etc. So giving the fish the best genetic pool you can will be most benficial.

If you wanted to try something crazy - get hold of a snakeskin cross it to an albino then keep those offspring. Then at the same time, cross another albino to a PB and keep the offspring. Then breed one of the snakes off spring to one of the PB offspring. This will give you the unique striations & pattern of the pigeon snakes without any of the black pigments.

G

mistakes r crucial
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks for that G. Is this crazy, Albino male with a Web Leopard Snakeskin female, I've got a few spare to play around with at the moment.
MAC

G-1000
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:41 AM
haha

Yep - that sure would throw you some interesting albinos down the line!

G

Ben
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 05:06 AM
Best albino varient i have seen was an albino golden leopard snakeskin in Singapore! (AGLSS)

Stunning!

samir
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 05:56 AM
i like the one in your avtar the best, and where did u get the white face on the right from ???

Diamond
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:50 AM
so how much are they worth?

G-1000
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:52 AM
Samir - thats my RGD prior to feeding him color bits!!

I will change the food mix back to spirulina soon i promise :)

samir
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:09 AM
hehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee
Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:46 AM
Best albino varient i have seen was an albino golden leopard snakeskin in Singapore! (AGLSS)

Stunning!

And you didn't take pics benny ??? :shock: hehe, would of loved to have seen a pic of that guy :D

Cheers,

Dee
:D

Diamond
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:41 PM
albino

Diamond
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:46 PM
albino

Dee
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 03:35 AM
Heya Diamond,

How much are you after for the Albino pair/pairs ? Do you mind if I ask where you got them ?

Have they produced and carried fry ?

Look forward to hearing from ya :D

Cheers,

Dee :)